Author Topic: Well... CRAP!! (B.L.)  (Read 5829 times)

Stringman

Well... CRAP!! (B.L.)
« on: December 24, 2011, 02:55:40 pm »
Murphy strikes again. I was rolling along on this black locust bow. Gave it plenty of time to dry after roughing it out, recently started on it again and flipped the tips, started shaving it down today and tryin to get it to bending... then pop! SOOO, wonder what the popular opinoin is on here? Super glue and sinew wrap, or should I shave it down first to reduce the draw weight before wrapping? It's still pretty stout right now. I believe I could also take an entire growth ring off without killing the bow (not my favorite option.) I have several backing choices, if it comes to that. I really like the cat eye knot on the back so I would rather not cover it up if I could avoid it.

So shoot em at me. What's the highest percentage strategy to save the bow. And please no negativity,  ;D  I'm trying to stay optimistic.

Stringman

Re: Well... CRAP!! (B.L.)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 02:58:22 pm »
The crack is in the last 2 pics. It is about 2 inches above the fade, right at the beginning of the bending section. If I do wrap it I will probably do both sides to make it match.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 03:07:29 pm »
Is that a little irregularity in the wood?  I'd take it down to the next ring if there is enough wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 03:14:03 pm »
Yes there is a slight irregularity there (smaller version of the "cat eye) and it is right on the edge (not what I intended.) I was hopeful that it wouldn't be an issue. My fear is that if I take it down another growth ring the same issues will appear. What would be wrong with wrapping it? Too much pressure?!?

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 06:06:10 pm »
You said you have some weight to give up so I wonder if you can trap the back in that area and side tiller it there to get rid of the problem spot !
I'm not sure how much you would need to go vs how much weight you have to give up
Just a thought !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 06:11:00 pm »
  i
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 06:18:38 pm »
 I'd also take it down but leave the wood around the cat eye you'd like to keep.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 07:16:40 pm »
So looks like you have 2 breaks...one on the edge and I see a line on that eye thingy. That's a pretty aggressive recurve for a wood with some imperfections. Tailor the bow to the wood. Let the wood do the talking. I know what i'd do with that stave. Got plenty out in the garden. LOL. :) That's how you learn. If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin'. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 09:51:46 pm »
No there's only one break. It is just above the the cat eye knot.

George, are you saying i should "unflip" the tips?

B.G. I dont have enough room to take it down on the sides.

Sounds like maybe the better option is taking off another ring. Hopefully, after that it will be light enough in draw weight I wont have any more problems with tension cracks... Does rawhide or a thick snake skin work well on black locust?

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 12:03:31 am »
snake skin is only used for appearance value not to add structural integrity to the bow. 
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline sonny

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 12:15:05 am »
are those tool marks in the back ??
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 12:27:28 am »
No, Sonny. That is the grain of the wood. It is actually pretty smooth as i had sanded it a little by  that point. Not perfect, mind ya, but smooth. That look is typical of the BL that grows around here.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 11:43:44 am »
Glue it down then wrap it.  Just make sure your wrap is nice and tight
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Shaun

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 12:22:25 pm »
The other bigger "cat eye" or whatever it is is scary! It appears to violate the top ring for most of the width of the back and is just above the fade in the most pressure area. If you have enough weight to give, take it down another ring. It looks like the next ring down is solid across that blemish. Or tiller so it does not bend in that area.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 04:15:19 pm »
I am asking the experts here the following.  Could he round the corners and remover the split? I think it might be called trapping the back.  I have only built 5 bows so I don't know how to fix it.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!