Author Topic: Made a biface, now what point? Finished.  (Read 5442 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Made a biface, now what point? Finished.
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 01:25:57 pm »
It's fun watching your progress, George.  Nice comeback with that second point! :)  Overshots are very unpredictable with that heat treated stuff but once you're good enough to use overshots to your advantage it will be a whole different ball game!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 01:49:06 pm »
Those points turned out just fine George! You'll be amazed at how thin you can get a blocky point with pressure. Make a nice continuous platform down one side, aim your copper straight down each ridge, load it up with really good pressure then "pop". You can run em side to side with practice.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 02:35:11 pm »
Thanks guys.  I am doing almost all my platform preparation with pressure now, then using indirect percussion if I need to pop large/long flakes, pressure if I don't.   However, my progress seems pitifully slow Patrick.  About the time I feel like I'm improving, running nice consistent flakes, I'll step about 3 straight and put an island where I can't get it out without losing a bunch of width.  Then, I'll pop a flake that makes the center of the piece way thinner than both ends.  Drives me crazy, especially when I goof up around the base where I know if it isn't thin my notches are going to stall.

Paul, my arms are aching from pressure flaking.  Today I plan to make an Ishi stick.  There has to be an easier way to get that much force on the spall.  It'll help when I get used to it.  It really helped when I made a rubber pad that is small enough to hold comfortably in my hand.  The flakes come off so hard that they stick in the pad a lot.  I do hope I learn how to control how far the flakes travel at some point.  I really hope I learn to do notches.  I have some friends to hog hunt with down near Houston.  This spring I'm gonna beg Mr. Tower for a notching lesson...unless I can get one from you first.  How are you feeling by the way?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 10:27:23 am »
I went out last night and chipped a little more.  Found a real pretty and real thin spall to work on.  I thought I had it ready to notch, though looking at the pictures now I see my symmetry is off at the base.  I'll fix that and then notch it.  Gonna go look at some pictures and get some ideas about the best way to do that.  This is a very thin point, not because of skill but because the spall was so thin.  I like it though.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 11:41:26 am »
That's a cool band running through it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 02:43:18 pm »
George, I make step and hinges all the time.  The trick is getting good at removing them!  ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 03:38:09 am »
Nice stuff George, the one with banding looks like a "mini" Megalodon tooth  >:D
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 04:06:00 am »
Yea, that spall had a real cool set of color bands. I've tried one other that was like that but it didn't turn out as well.

Patrick... :)  :)

It does Lee. Hate to meet a critter with teeth like that.

How technology has changed,  I'm 12ft up in a tower blind reading the forum on my phone while waiting for pigs to show.  When I started hunting 40 years ago I never could have conceived where we'd be today. I never would have thought I'd be making stone points either.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 03:10:34 am »
that rock is nice !!
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 10:38:28 am »
Where did you get that rock George and did you cook it?
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2011, 11:08:10 am »
All the points I've made have been with rock Patrick sent home with me after our first Texas get-together.  It was heated. I've since picked up some rock at the lease and Cipriano has brought quite a bit over as well. The raw stone is pretty tough, beyond my ability so far. Ricky came over one day and made a beautiful point from the raw chert. I was impressed.  I'm hoping I can get a used roaster cheap now that the holidays are over. Then I'll heat some of the rock I have.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2011, 11:23:20 pm »
I'm looking to pick up a Roaster as well George...might do a big pit fire tomorrow though to get me by until then.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 01:52:41 pm »
That is some good looking rock there George. Guess it's either a Gtown variety or the heat really slicked it up. Makes me wanna knap but this shoulder thingy really sucks. Been down three weeks last Friday and still hurts:(. Don't see me Ishi'ing any time soon..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 04:53:46 pm »
  Time to haft it up & get out to make some meat with that thing now, right?
If nothing else there`s bunnies everywhere that need the herd thinned down.
I`ve found worse looking points in the cornfields around here that (I`d assume)
were used even tho they weren`t the prettiest looking things ya could use... :laugh:
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 06:32:54 pm »
Thanks guys.  I decided to take a spall too narrow to make a point from and practice notching.  I promptly broke it in half.  My first 2 notches were excellent.  What is it about notching something that doesn't matter to make it all work out??

So, I finally sucked it up and corner notched the big point.  As usual, I stalled a notch before I got them as long as I wanted.  Still, better than usual.

Thin enough to see a little bit of light through it.

That's my favorite point so far.  Life is good.

George
St Paul, TX