Author Topic: Grease, fat & tallow?  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Grease, fat & tallow?
« on: January 19, 2012, 06:04:57 pm »
Hey guys, I've seen that some folks on here waterproof their bows with bear fat, deer fat, etc.

I had a nice sized winter caught Coon that was loaded with layers of fat so I cut off a bunch and figured I could just toss it in the Crockpot and reduce it down and end up with a block of hard fat/tallow that I could rub my primitive bows down with but after reducing it down (and making a little unwanted "Coon Bacon" in the process) and letting it cool it is still all liquid today and hasn't really firmed up at all like I figured it would. 

So, what is the trick or process to making this stuff?

Thanks for any help~

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Grease, fat & tallow?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 06:32:43 pm »
You might be able to heat it up and add pine pitch to it until it gets the consistancy you like. I think Rich uses a mixture of bear grease and pitch for his bow finish. I don't know anything about coon fat though.  ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 06:50:42 pm »
Lee, Ya did the fat rendering just right....the Michigan NA's would have rubbed that in and then heated it near a fire and then buff any "excess". I make mine like a "greasier" version of their winter canoe glue.....melt down some spruce pitch, and then add yiour coon fat to that untill it gets like the consistency of shoe polish when it's cold.....it will get "stcky in the zero range and wont be "runny" during the summer. You can tweek it to suit your desire by adding more or less grease.....Be carefull of grease though cause it will take a lot less of that than it would if you used bees wax, eh?
     The pitch will stay hot like forever so when you think you have it about right.....use a flat stick to smear some on a metal plate and set it outside till it's cold.....and then check it's consistency.....if it is too "loose" add a little more pitch and if it's to "firm" add a little bit more grease.
     I apply it by rubbing heavily on the bow or arrow shaft, then warm it up with a hair dryer (you can see it soak in) let it set for a little bit then buff it off......all there is to it
rich

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 08:23:31 pm »
Thanks Pat & Halfeye...guess I ended up with what I was suppose too, might have to go chisel some frozen pitch off the pines out back.  thanks a ton for the info and help, I really appreciate the quick reply.

(glad the wife wasn't here that Coon fat / bacon sure did have a "different" aroma! 
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold