Author Topic: american warbow society meet and great  (Read 12657 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
american warbow society meet and great
« on: December 23, 2011, 03:38:14 am »
i decided to make this thread to get people interested to introduce themselves and say where they are from, you know, try to get a familiarity with our possible group members
i'll start
i'm Noel Laflamme, and i'm from the only place where the state is smaller than many of my bows, Rhode Island
...... who's next
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
Re: american warbow society meet and great
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 02:21:59 am »
My turn!

I am Cody Werner, from Washington state in the beautiful Pacific Northwest! The place where the beloved Yew trees grow though I have yet to get my hands on some! haha

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 05:33:25 pm »
Here's Part 1 of my introductory video on my new Youtube channel "American Warbow SW":   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ2hZsUWaEQ
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 05:36:48 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 12:27:18 am »
Nicely done, 'Crafty Jack'!  That's a good introduction video!

That ash-Juniper wood looks beautiful for warbows!  Hope that works out well for you, and can't wait to see you shoot your 70#er.

I'm Jonathan and I'm in the D.C. area.  Closest person I know about around here is probably Noel in R.I. , but maybe I'll find some more closer to my area.

I may be able to drive into Virginia or as far north as aastern Pennsylvania (was there for the holiday weekend and it's really nice up there) if there are any practitioners around thereabouts that want to practice with me or have regular get togethers.

But first, I'll have to get a scene going near D.C. too this next year which is one of my goals I hope to accomplish.  And I'll need to get my bow back and start practicing again; can't do much good without a bow!

Let's see, so far we have:

Northeast region (noel)
Mid-Atlantic Region (myself)
Southeast Region (Mark R)
Southwest Region (jackcrafty)
Northwest Region ("Dag")
Canada region (we haven't had anyone from there sign to the e-mail list yet, but maybe the Canadian enthusiasts would like to work with us as well?)

Could we tentatively say these are the regions we're working with in an American Warbow Society? 

Looks like we're fairly spread out so far, but maybe if we can get some local groups set up with a few consistently practicing members, we can get things rolling as far as regional events, national events, and perhaps events across the pond too potentially, as we try to coordinate with our fellow enthusiasts in the U.K with the EWBS.  And of course, keep a steady stream of ideas going all over the place as to how to set up the group's organization, how to organize events/shoots, and how to maintain and grow membership.

I'll keep up the e-mail list, and once I get my bow back I'll try to get something going in my local area.  Let me know if I can be of help with anything!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:06:13 pm by Ringeck85 »
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline Marz5

• Better bend than break.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 02:19:51 pm »
SE that'd be me 8)

--Mark R.
Am fear nach glèidh na h-airm san t-sìth, cha bhi iad aige 'n àm a' chogaidh.
(He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.)
--Scottish Proverb

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 11:22:12 pm »
Excellent, I guess I'll edit my previous post and put people in there, maybe create a thread if the list gets significant enough for that.

Question: for the sake of simplicity for now, would "mid-atlantic" states go to the northeast side of things or to the southeast if it were combined with either?  Florida is a lot farther away than Rhode Island, so I'd lean to the former for practical reasons (and the cities in the mid-atlantic seem to be more connected to the northeast corridor from Richmond up), but I'm from Florida and there is a rail line to Jacksonville (sadly not to many other places in the state) that would make a long weekend trip possible.

Once I can get some funds saved up for traveling, I might be able to go a ways and meet some people in the middle.
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 11:17:19 am »
i think middle east would be best as its own section or with the south east, i would say mid east should be nc- penn and north east ny-maine, just my opinion :-\

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 09:24:15 pm »
The middle east?  I believe there already is a Middle East, and it ain't on this side of the pond  :P  If we were, say, focusing on Turkish horse bows as a theme, I'd be all for it cause I think those are cool, but I don't think that's a focus for this group.

Let's say East Coast for now, so including yourself (R.I.), me (Maryland), Marz5 (florida), and anyone else we can find.  We can expand regions if need be, but since we're so spread out, we can worry about who's where.

Anyway, the "regions" don't really matter that much in the long run, it's the local groups we can set up and build interest.  So I have the following ideas:

1. We need more people interested in this!!!  More is better!  So I want our New Years goal to be, by the end of March 2012, we should each try to have a minimum of two other people that we practice with on a regular basis.  Once, twice, three times a week?  Biweekly would be acceptable if the people were a ways away or if the weather's really bad.  I think three people practicing could constitute a local "group". whatever we decide to call that.  What do you think?

2. By that time, we should have our own website, or perhaps a subforum on here depending?  I'd be glad to help with this or try to make one (my limited experience putting some emphasis on try).  On this website, we'll have links to our youtube channel(s) and other warbow material, vendors that make bows, arrows, and all that jazz that we practice with, some articles about the history and practice of the English/European warbow, and a discussion forum where we can do whatever we need to grow and flourish.

3.  Be able to communicate and coordinate the needs of each local group that's signed up with us.  I think that for now, we shouldn't worry about being a super complicated non profit just yet.  We need to have sufficient bottom-to-top support for that to really work.  For now, local groups that aim to work together for a common cause-- that is, the appreciation of and skill in the use of the English/European warbow-- would be our best goal.

Needs might be the following:
-establishing guidelines for safety, non-liability waiver forms, etc.  Basic language for the archery range, when to loose, when to stop, when to retrieve, etc.
-Guidelines on acceptable parameters for bows, arrows, official events; what do we consider to be a war bow?  We could borrow the English Warbow Society's guidelines for this for now, or think up our own potentially if that is permissible to them.
-Membership dues or free?  If the range (like say, an indoor shooting range for winter archery) requires a minimum fee, and you're looking to expand your group, I'd highly recommend a monthly fee to help get money for extra supplies.  But if you aim for more casual environment ("get your own stuff" rule), free is cool too.  I think being flexible with this is good.
-Resources for local craftsman.  I for one am very excited about the idea of making my own stuff, even if I suck at it at first.  The people on here are fantastic for this, so let's stay in touch

4. Figure out how the EWBS does it and stay in close contact with them.  We'd be starting as a chapter of their group, so we need to be mindful and respectful that they're the ones that know more about this than we do (for now anyway).  The English war bow is their heritage and their weapon (not to say that it isn't some of ours too; I have Scotch/English/Irish ancestry for example), and if we're to be their chapter we need to recognize this and make sure we're on respectable terms with them, even if we give a little wiggle room to allow for other weapons (since we have our own archery traditions from native styles that are worth considering).  From what I've heard from Dag, they sound pretty helpful and they have a relatively simple set up.

5.  We can brainstorm and discuss the for quite a while since this is a secondary concern.  Our primary weapon of study is the English/European Warbow, but I'd like to see if we can in our own spare time explore other bow arts and other European martial arts.  The English staff tradition from the Renaissance is also very rich, for example.  Or some of the European arts, like falchion/messer fighting, or sword and buckler, or even knife fighting, would compliment a martial archer very well.  I'm not saying we'd require this, but what about having the bow as our primary weapon, and having some time to study other close combat styles on the side?  Does the EWBS do this at all or is it bow-only for them?  My main reason for including other martial arts is that we'd get help from people who have experience in these close martial arts (myself being an enthusiast), and it would be a very good pool of interest, as HEMA people are very serious about their art and would make excellent warbow practitioners.  Some of them already study archery on the side, and it would be great if we could unite the disciplines.  Close combat is separate from archery/ranged combat, but even so, I think the idea of integrating their study would be an angle that is rarely done these days in the Renaissance of their study.

That's the ideas I have so far.  Hopefully it is not too much of a tangent.  What do you all think?
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 09:54:11 pm »
oops, meant mid atlantic :-[  ;)
i think i might know 1 or 2 people i could do this with, any ideas on finding out who else( ways of getting it out there)

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 10:04:27 pm »
Social networks are one way, like:
facebook, meetup, craigslist, sites like that.  Granted, meeting random strangers is not the safest thing in the world, so use your own discretion with that.

Word of mouth is probably better to start with, call up some of your friends and relatives, ask them if they're interested, see if they know anyone who's interested.

If you go to a school or university nearby, you could (if they allow it) post flyers on bullitin boards saying you're interested in forming a group.  This might be a better step to do once you have a handful of people practicing and want to expand, though.

See if there's anyone who does any kind of archery whatsoever near you; if it's a large group there might be some interested in practicing the warbow or working up to it.  A quick search of archery groups in your area might give you some options if there's anything close by.  Try contacting their leader (take me to your leader!), and see if they'd be open to having someone practice the warbow with them without trying to "infect" you with either modern sport or "fantasy" archery stuff.

Where do you usually practice?  Is there a public archery range anywhere nearby?  You could say, you're meeting there on such and such days and leave an open invitation to those interested in practicing with you.  As long as they know what your focus is and they're ok with that, anyone practicing with you is a potential training partner.

But if you have one or two people to train with potentially, or even anyone that's interested, that would be a great start!  Good luck, man, and I hope the above was helpful!
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 11:28:28 am »
thanks, i never thought of using craigslist, i have a large yard so i haven't gone to a range yet, but i think i know of one nearby that i could check at and i think i could get my cousin to do it
thanks for the suggestions
noel

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 02:19:32 pm »
Jonathan, your ideas are excellent.  I like the part about integrating other martial arts into the study of warbows.  I also like the idea of "borrowing" the English way of setting things up until we can develop our own format(s).

You mentioned Native American use of bows in warfare and I think this will be a very interesting subject to explore.  I will contribute as much as I can to the pursuit of this knowledge.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 03:40:45 am »
Jackcrafty, I love the youtube channel!!! I think that is an amazing idea! If everyone else thinks it is a good idea as well I'd like to create a channel for the North West region of the US. 

I personally found out about the EWBS through random youtube videos a few years ago. So I know it could drive so traffic and generate interest in this society.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 03:47:58 am »
sounds good to me ;D, i might do one for the north east later in the year, right now i have so little time :'(

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 05:08:16 am »
Ok, I've went ahead and created an AmericanWarbowNW Youtube channel. No videos as of yet but I'll make a simple intro soon!

Subscribe if you would like to :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/AmericanWarbowNW?feature=guide