Author Topic: Antlers hiding screws on a take down bow  (Read 5895 times)

Hartung

Antlers hiding screws on a take down bow
« on: July 21, 2007, 05:41:11 pm »
Hi friends,

this is a pic of a Schafer Silvertip take down. To disassemble this bow I suppose that you have to remove the antlers which are on top of the two screws. Does anybody know how those antlers are fixed on top of the screws so that they can be removed and put back without to much trouble.

Reason for my question. I’m building a all wooden take down and would like to hide the screws the same way as shown on the Silvertip.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hartung

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Antlers hiding screws on a take down bow
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 07:08:38 pm »
The antler bur's are glued on or taped and threaded on the screws so they stay with the bolts.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 08:16:00 pm »
There was a how-to in TB magazine by Jay St. Charles that showed how to simply inlet the burr with a drill bit, rough up the bolt head and glue it on with JB weld.
  Pat

Trapper

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 09:41:04 pm »
In other words you have never taken it down right? Like pat and Ryno said you probably just grab ahold of the antler and screw it out, I wiuld think anyway.      Trapper

Hartung

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 05:32:46 pm »
Hi,

I’m surprised to read, that you screw down the bolt by just turning the burr with your fingers, without using a wrench? Does it really get as tight as that to fix the limb to the riser?

Thanks!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 07:22:04 pm »
That is how the ones I have seen work.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

brokennock

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 11:53:31 pm »
I remamber the TB article on how to attach those to the bolt heads. They cut V notches into the edges of the head drilled a hole in the piece of antler and apoxied them together. Wish I was computer savy enough to scan the article and post it. If I get a chance to dig through my box-o-back-issues I'll re-read the article and tell you wich issue it's in.