Author Topic: Well it shoots :) Almost lost this one :(  (Read 4528 times)

Offline coaster500

Well it shoots :) Almost lost this one :(
« on: December 21, 2011, 11:50:57 pm »
This is #5 for me and has put me to the test and tried a couple of times to rest in the kindling box...  It's knotty, lumpy with flat spots that don't bend perfect. It is too wide with handle splices to fix a mistake I made...  But it really shoots sweet. How weird is that? I am such a novice and still don't understand the mechanics but for what ever reason this bow 56@27 (ouch for me) shoots as good as any bow in the rack and better than most??????

Anyway here are some pics. When I get it sanded and all dressed up I'll post a shooter video :)

Braced on the tiller stick

In the target closet

Before shooting 60 or 70 arrows

1 hour after shooting...  took a little set

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Learned a lesson about how wide or I should say narrow you can make a grip. I was pullin the string on my Chittumwood bow and had a slight angle on the string (it was on the tree) and I noticed the bow bending toward me not down!! Well needless to say that stopped everything. I had a chunk of Poplar that I use on the tips flattened the riser as best as I could and I praying it holds? Looks kind of cool but that's an accident :)

Here's the progress....  it's a lumpy thing

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 12:19:48 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Almost lost this one :(
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 01:24:46 am »
Being able to identify a problem before it becomes a problem put you way ahead of most folks. The fact that you remedied that problem puts you at the top of the heap. Well done!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 04:18:07 am »
Thanks Pat.... Just lucky so far

I was trying to get it to bend right just not that direction :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 07:12:09 am »
Looks like a nice save.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 08:34:58 am »
By my definition, that makes you an expert.
I hate the term, but if forced to define it I'd say an expert is the man (or woman) who can put right their own mistakes.
I think that's a great fix and looks cool too. The whole bow looks great.
Happy solstice to everyone!
Del
(BTW... I didn't need to add (or woman) they don't make mistakes ;)  ::) )
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 12:30:04 pm »
Thanks pappy, Del :)

"(BTW... I didn't need to add (or woman) they don't make mistakes    )"

Del, did you know my X    :o
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:33:01 pm by coaster500 »

Offline coaster500

Re: Well it shoots :) Almost lost this one :(
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 12:16:05 pm »
This is #5 for me and has put me to the test and tried a couple of times to rest in the kindling box...  It's knotty, lumpy with flat spots that don't bend perfect. It is too wide with handle splices to fix a mistake I made...  But it really shoots sweet. How weird is that? I am such a novice and still don't understand the mechanics but for what ever reason this bow 56@27 (ouch for me) shoots as good as any bow in the rack and better than most??????

Anyway here are some pics. When I get it sanded and all dressed up I'll post a shooter video :)

Braced on the tiller stick

In the target closet

Before shooting 60 or 70 arrows

1 hour after shooting...  took a little set

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 03:17:28 pm by coaster500 »

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 09:26:26 pm »
Nice save ;D looks cool 8) that target looks like it would be the answer to my problems!!! Where dose one find one of those???looks like that one may have been a club bale
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 10:32:18 pm »
Myself,, I'd say it was the "mostest, bestest, bow I ever made". ;D That's what I thought when I got my first one shooting and got enough nerve to post it for all to see. It broke three months later but I still have the bottom limb.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 11:10:28 pm »
Great looking bow and I agree great fix! Looks cool! Look forward to a video ;D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 12:14:01 am »
Thanks guys....  I really thought this one might go BOOM!!!

Soy the target came from the local indoor range and pro-shop. They replace their targets every so often and I put my name in for one...  They still cost but only about a third of the cost new. The shed keeps the sun and rain from killin it.

Mullet I hope this one doesn't break because I've got a friend in mind for it once I get it dressed up. I figure it's a good match for him. He does a good job in the hills with his own knotty limb :)

Josh I'll try in the next week or so for the video.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 12:17:33 am by coaster500 »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 10:06:38 am »
Anybody can make a piece of wood LOOK like a bow, I wanna see it BOWED!........................"Come on man!"

P.S.

I want to go muley hunting where you do.....
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2011, 10:47:03 am »
Nice bow, Coaster. Congratulations! :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 11:10:46 am »
Lookn good Coaster!  Never heard of that wood type, but it sure is pretty, can't wait to see the finished pics AND full draw!!! :D

Offline coaster500

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 02:01:00 pm »
Thank you all...

Chris I need my wife’s camera skill. I still haven't learned how to use my toes :) Those bucks came out of north eastern Montana....  lot's of deer and a general tag. The last part of the season they rut pretty hard and give a guy a better chance at getting close. It's pretty much all public land in the breaks and a 50/50 draw for a tag. I like to hunt an old mine where the state made the mining company plant winter wheat on the slides. It gives the deer food and is surrounded by timber to help with set-ups.

George means a bunch coming from the professor but Chris is right and I'll post some picks full draw of old Lumpy when I can. I'll also try for a Video. I like the Videos as you can stop and start thru the whole cycle. Helps me see what's going on. This one looks a little weird drawn with all the knots but shoots great.

stixman, this is my 5th bow all with different woods. I would really like to find a pristine stave of Chittam and go for a perfect bend. The grain in this one everywhere but around the knots is absolutely straight and visibly defined.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 06:13:39 pm by coaster500 »