Author Topic: another tree id question  (Read 3288 times)

Offline k-hat

another tree id question
« on: December 21, 2011, 05:19:41 pm »
Anybody know what this is?  It's toppled and top cut off, but about 9 feet of trunk left w roots still in ground.

Thanks!!

Offline Shaun

Re: another tree id question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 05:28:23 pm »
Not enough info. A picture of the general shape of tree, branching pattern, etc. would be very helpful. Looks like red oak or maybe elm, but more pics please.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 05:30:45 pm »
Sorry, that's all i have!  The branches and such have been cleared away, this is all that remains.  I supposed i could go ahead and ask permission to take what's left and it oughta make a bow ;)

Offline k-hat

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 05:32:44 pm »
By the way, this is about an 18" trunk, one side of a split that occurs right here, but the lower 8 ft or so is pretty straight and clear.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 05:39:58 pm »
I don't think it has enough sapwood to be red oak.   My guess is black cherry. If I could see pics of the smaller branches I could say for sure.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 05:45:51 pm »
Cherry of sorts is my GUESS. Our oak and elm up here look nothing like that bark pattern. Grab and find out later if its firewood!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 05:47:20 pm »
That's my thought!  Now, i need to borry a chainsaw, trailer, . . . .   Hope it's still there on Monday!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 05:59:19 pm »
When you ask permission to cut it also ask what it is.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dbb

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 10:05:34 pm »
Every tree of the prunus family (cherry) i have come across have a faint smell of bitter almond when cut through the outer bark.
I have no experience with black cherry but it could be a quick way to determine that family of trees if it is true to all cherryvariants.
Just a thought  ;)

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 10:27:06 pm »
It dose not look like black cherry, red oak or red elm to me.I do not know what it is :-[
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline k-hat

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 02:03:35 am »
Thanks guys, seems like a lotta folks are going for cherry.  Would i treat this like a whitewood or more like an elm or osage?

Pat:  love to ask, but they probly won't know! It's on a hospital grounds where they were doing some clearing, been sitn in that condition for about a month.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 02:20:58 am »
I conside cherry a whitewood as far as bow building goes.
  If it has been laying on the ground for a month I'd usecomsider it firewood. It doesn't take long for fungi to invade most woods.

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 05:09:30 am »
It definately not cherry (prunus avium) , i've made a good few bows out of it and it doesn't look like that and the bark is wrong. It's not red oak or elm either. Sorry just a lot of NOT's - i'm not sure what it IS tho!

Offline okie64

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 10:02:20 am »
Its Black Cherry. I remember reading somewhere it is a fairly fungi resistant wood. Its great smokin wood if you decide not to build bows from it.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 11:12:35 am »
My first guess was black cherry but I'm not sure about the bark, from the picture it could be american chestnut,
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.