Author Topic: Quick hickory question....  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Quick hickory question....
« on: December 28, 2011, 05:12:59 pm »
I recently got a really nice hickory stave and have a question about the back. I have zero experience with hickory staves and just wanted to confirm that the very back of this stave still had the cambium on it. The back has a very "stringy" look and is fairly soft, so I believe that it is the cambium. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Jon

P.S. Jackcrafty, in case you look at this thread, this is the stave you sent me so your input would be the best! Thanks.  ;D

Offline RyanY

Re: Quick hickory question....
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 05:20:09 pm »
Looks like the cambium to me. The back should be fine the way it is. It won't effect your tillering and will easily sand off when you finish the bow.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 05:25:06 pm »
No cambium layer on that piece. That was stripped off along with the bark. Probably spring or summer cut. That's your finished back and only light sanding required. Nice piece of wood.......Art

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 05:53:20 pm »
If you got it from Jack Crafty it's probably come I traded him at the classic a couple years ago if it is  it's spring cut when the bark was really juicy. A little sanding and it should be fine. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 06:22:24 pm »
Yup..Ron n Art are right. No cambium on that. That baby was cut in the spring I bet when the juices start flowing again. You can sand or leave as is if you like the look.  ;)

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 06:25:17 pm »
I think I don't understand what the cambium is. HA.  :P