Author Topic: Question about bow risers  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Tortoise

Question about bow risers
« on: December 20, 2011, 02:37:29 pm »
I've been doing research and am going make my first serious attempt at a bow, which is osage backed with hickory. However, I've seen rumors about the riser popping off when the bow is drawn, but I've seen numerous successful bows with the risers just glued on, and they don't seem to have popped off. I would be gluing it with Titebond III. Is this true? If it is, then how do I prevent it.
-Peter
Arizona

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Question about bow risers
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 02:39:18 pm »
Its not the glue used its design. You have to stop the limbs movement prior to the handle. The core flexing under the handle pops it off. Make the fades gradual and thicker than the core and you wont have a problem. Just take a look at almost any bow posted here and you will see what I mean.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 02:44:27 pm »
I'm no expert but my guess is that risers usually pop off because the bow is improperly tillered so that the handle is taking some strain from the bend. If you have a glued on riser then the handle has to be absolutely stiff and not taking any strain. If you glue it properly and its not bending then it should be fine. I see lots of people making bows with glued on handles. Good luck, have fun and post pictures.  :)

Edit: Uh, yeah. What PD said. you posted while I was typing.  8)

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 02:48:13 pm »
I'm no expert but my guess is that risers usually pop off because the bow is improperly tillered so that the handle is taking some strain from the bend. If you have a glued on riser then the handle has to be absolutely stiff and not taking any strain. If you glue it properly and its not bending then it should be fine. I see lots of people making bows with glued on handles. Good luck, have fun and post pictures.  :)

Edit: Uh, yeah. What PD said. you posted while I was typing.  8)
Okay that explains a lot haha  :) So I should glue it on after I tiller it, to make sure that the area won't be bending at all?
-Peter
Arizona

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 02:51:04 pm »
Tiller has nothing to do with it. The handle/riser area cant bend. That means the hanlde/riser area needs to be thicker than any other part of your limb. Take a look at my twisted sister build along, I believe I have a pic of a glued on handle.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 02:59:14 pm »
Yeah, I was essentially saying the same thing PD was saying. I think I should have said taper, not tiller. I agree that is misleading. You dont need to tiller the bow before you glue on the riser, just make sure the handle area (pre-riser) is thicker than the rest of the bow to the point that it isn't coming under any strain.