Author Topic: Question about Osage  (Read 2615 times)

Offline bowman_137

Question about Osage
« on: December 19, 2011, 04:25:03 pm »
I just found a nice straight Osage orange tree, or bois'd arc, as we call them. Do I need to split it into staves now, while its still green, or wait till it seasons? Also what do i need to seal the ends with to keep it from splitting?
CAUTION!!!! SLOW LEARNER!!!!

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Question about Osage
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 05:01:51 pm »
   Splitting it now would help it dry much quicker, a log could take years to season enough to make a bow. After splitting and removing the bark be sure and seal the ends and back with shellac.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 05:03:38 pm »
If you cut the tree split the log in half and store it off the ground in a sheltered place. In about a month split out your staves.   Seal the ends of the log with thinned carpenters glue(TB or Elmer's) or wax, shellac or paint.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 05:21:58 pm »
After splitting logs that sat around for 6 months, I doubt I will split much green osage again. I have six gorgeous logs in my driveway right now. The ends are super sealed and thats it. I will split them this spring/late winter. I was amazed how much less interlocking grain I fought compared to fresh green logs. Plus after 8 big logs Im tired of splitting for a bit!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowman_137

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 05:30:05 pm »
How long does it take for one to season properly? Ive heard about 2 years but I'm not sure. I hope it don't take quite that long because I'll be in Afghanistan by then

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 05:56:10 pm »
There are a million variables. Most split staves need no less than a year to dry up decently. A whole log will take a decade or so. If your itching to build a bow then you can take one of your splits and rough a bow out, let it sit for 2-3 months under your bed and finish it then. It wont be "seasoned", but it will be mostly dry.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 09:00:22 pm »
Where are you located at ?
If your going off to war we gotta get it in hi gear!
Maybe someone close to you has a steamer and a form they can get it on ,then into the hot box for a couple of weeks!
Thanks for your service!!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline johnston

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 09:33:59 pm »
bowman if you are going to war I'll send you a stave. Don't have that yeller stuff
but do have hickory.

Lane

Offline bowman_137

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 10:02:08 am »
I live in southern Oklahoma and have been a Navy Seabee for just over 4 years now. I would appreciate any help i can get and if there are any bowyers in my area i would like to get in contact with them.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 11:19:13 am »
You should have some good osage in your area.  How far are you from Dallas?  If in driving distance I'd be happy to help you get a piece of osage bending before you go.  My staves are crooked for sure, but we can make a bow turn out as straight as you want.  Today's my last day working for the year.  I will do some deer hunting, but there'd be several days I could work with you if you're close enough.  Be happy to show you how I split osage too, there's lots in my driveway, and would send you home a stave or 2 for when you get back. 

There are some bowyers in Oklahoma, Indianguy does gorgeous short native american bows.

One more thing.  Check in your area for old osage fence posts.  If you can find a straight one with minimal bug damage you'll have the most seasoned bow wood there is.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bowman_137

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 05:18:11 pm »
I'm about 2 hours from Dallas. I'm in the Ardmore area. maybe we can get together on a day and make the trip.

Offline Postman

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 10:03:24 pm »
If you have a woodstove it can speed up drying, but too fast might cause checks. you might also be able to find a sawmill with osage - my buddy in OK said he saw osage fenceposts at one. Good luck and thanks for your service!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline JonW

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 08:07:55 am »
If you are still around during March 22-25 go on up to Stillwater for OJAM. There will be more Osage bows there than you shake a stick at. ;)

Offline bowman_137

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 09:59:50 am »
REALY? i didn't know Stillwater had anything like that i will definitely look into it