Author Topic: Arrowhead Pouch  (Read 2689 times)

Offline MetisLifeguard

Arrowhead Pouch
« on: December 21, 2011, 10:51:40 pm »
Hey guys,

First try at making a primitive leather Native pouch.. It didn't turn out to well for my thoughts. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated for the next one.
Here's the result:

Minwikijigan
A leopard never changes it's spots. It just learns to hunt a different way

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Arrowhead Pouch
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 11:05:21 pm »
 I wish I could help you but it looks better than my leatherwork.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bushman

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 02:37:42 am »
It looks good. Only pointer I could think of is just use one piece of leather and fold it for the bottom. That sinew thread, is it real sinew or is it fake? If its real did you make it or buy it?
Bushman

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 03:55:48 am »
Over all I think it's a nice design.  The two toned leather could be considered a nice contrast and it is a good way to use up pieces that might be too small otherwise.   It would be easier and a little neater to use one larger piece ( as suggested by bushman.)
If there was one thing I would change it would be the stitching.   The stitching just looks too big and crude.    The stitching on your bag is a major design element.  It draws the eye and needs to be is even and regular as possible.  Buckskin items I've seen in museums either have the stitching hidden (sew the bag inside out and then turn right side out when the stitching is done), or just plain had much smaller, neater stitching.  Remember primitive does not equal crude! ( I probably didn't have to mention that, but it's a thought I have to repeat to myself from time to time.  The criss cross double needle pattern of stitching is a common pattern today, but may not be authentic if you're trying to duplicate a specific tribal style.   
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 09:02:33 am »
I'm with Eddie,looks good to me,maybe real sinew or rawhide lacing for the sewing work,other than that it looks great to me. I leave the leather work to Jon/GregB and BigA.  ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 03:10:06 pm »
Anything that works is OK.  What I have found though is pouches are much stronger if you use a plain double needle stitch running the needles in and out of the same hole with the pouch turned inside out.  When finished turn the pouch right side out and you have a very serviceable bag.  If the lace is meant to be decoration, then overlay stitching like you have done works just fine and a few beads can enhance the appearance.  Nice work on the bag!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight