Author Topic: pa writers  (Read 4437 times)

Offline Blacktail

pa writers
« on: December 16, 2011, 10:30:10 pm »
i just got the new pa from the news stand(pretty broke)as every one else...but i just wanted to say that MAN there is great writers on this site..i would really like to see more people writing and to see some different stuff...WHAT I MEAN IS...if you look at the first issues of pa  they where load with different stuff like(flint knapping,brain tanning,atl atl and darts,cordage)that sort of stuff...now day i think some of the other skills have been put to the wayside...lets get them back and fire up more interest in the mag for new comers...john

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: pa writers
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 11:21:59 pm »
Just subscribed so I have no experiance as to what has been in them but the things you mentioned sounded like some interesting stuff to read about :D Your not a subscriber I hear ya about the money thing man I sold some stuff just to get my subscription lol PM me your address John and ill get you a subscrition  ;) seriously  ;D

I have thought about doing an article on Ocean Spray sapling bow build with John Strunk Im sure he would be willing to let me take pictures and do a right up on it. I know this isnt the things your talking about but im just sayin ;D

Josh
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 11:25:14 pm by Elktracker »
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 01:32:56 am »
josh,i want to thank you,thank you so much for the offer...you take that money and feed your family or have some fun...i will be o.k...i had a sudscription for years it just ran out on me...about the article WRITE IT....it would be great to see more people writing and sharing differant stuff about there knowledge or there adventure....i really wish you could read or see the first years of pa and ALL the differant stuff in the mag...i am NOT saying there is any thing wrong with the mag now IN FACT its gotten better over the years....but,i think there could be alot more primitive stuff in the mag that was done years ago that is not done written now...i hope this makes sense....i want to thank you again josh..this one reason why i love pa and the people on the site..this is one reason why my wife writes for pa also because of this..thanks john

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 03:18:39 am »
Sent ya a pm ;)

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 07:24:50 am »
I gotta agree with blacktail, the more variety the better, as long as it's geared to primitive arts, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 11:10:52 am »
Ditto.  I'm a handy kind of guy... I'd like to see more how-to types of articles.  Not that there aren't any now, but those are the articles that I enjoy the most.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 11:22:42 am »
None of us were writers until we wrote an article. If you have something interesting that you think others would like to read, submit it to Ed Ingold editor of PA magazine. Editor@primitivearcher.com.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 11:48:08 am »
    I finaly renewed by script after a few year lapse. As said above it is challenging for the editors to come up with new material on a regular basis. Building bows in not rocket science. I agree with the poster above on more articles on related topics such as leather work, arrows, flint knapping, etc. My primary interest in the magazine is just seeing different bowyers show their wares and explain their methods and theories. I also enjoy hearing a bit about their personnal lives and how primitive archery has impacted it. I know it sure turned my life around. When you think about all the attractions and aspects to primitive archery it is easy to realize the topic has almost endless potential for new fodder.
     My original attraction was that I have always loved the outdoors, hunting and nature in general and like to experience it on a most basic level. Then I found I enjoyed the process of actually doing the work, I started taking some interest in the history, and then the science, then came the math and physics, then the creative/inventive side, then the social aspects, then the study of wood itself and tools and on and on and on. Seems their is no end to it. All these aspects are potential topics to write about. I have gradually regressed to just making plain jane stickbows. I somehow get off on the tillering process.
     Looking forward to hearing more and seeing more articles from the latest generation of bowyers as their craft matures. Steve

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 12:27:47 pm »
I just submitted an article for the magazine.  Hopefully it makes it to print.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 04:23:19 pm »
ALL RIGHT.NOW WE ARE TALKING..if i remember right talking to my wife..she said that ed ingold (editor) brought this up to her...SO,i thought it should be brought up to every one else..and to get some of the juices flowing...it would be great to see even more new people get the bug...and pa is the leading mag for the stuff we do...just write an article submit it and if it DONT work out dont worry just try some think else...or maybe ED will work with you on it...i really hate to see some happen and would love to see it grown like a fruit tree....john

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 05:52:33 pm »
A writer I ain't ,but good stories I can see and they happen right in front Me many a time !
Some of the best stories i have seen happen at the Marshall Primitive Rendezvous  !
If you look back at years 2-5 or so of the PA magazine you will find them full of the sites and people of Marshall  like Norm Blaker ! If any of you are interested in doing a story come to Marshall and meet him ! Another good story place is the Flint Ridge Knapp in where you can sit and talk to folks about all kinds of primitive things ! If you get there look up William Blalock !
You can see me at these events and I would gladly introduce you to some of the best in the primitive world ! I also plan to attend the Tenn. Classic this year and I am sure there have to be some good stories there ! With Pappy and the gang its gotta be good!
I am looking forward to you folks doing some wonderful stories for the rest of us to enjoy
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 06:45:53 pm »
I wrote a story several years ago for PA.  Wrote a sinew article for a German traditional magazine.  Maybe I will step up to the plate and write another.   Although the Marshall Rendezvous is still a bit away, I will do one for that, as well.  It's due to get a spot. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 07:16:50 pm »
If anyone is planning on submitting pictures to PA magazine, make sure to keep them as large of a file as you can. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 01:29:20 am »
GO,MATT,GO...i know there has to be some thing in your neck of the wood to write about....any kinds of bow that most people dont work..rocks,arrowhead..fibers....a differant way of hunting...john

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 05:49:25 pm »
Yes !!!
Matt I reread your PA art. this summer and am excited to see another from you!!
Its never to early to push the Marshall event !
Hope to see ya soon !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !