Author Topic: Hidden tang skinner  (Read 4133 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Hidden tang skinner
« on: December 15, 2011, 02:26:08 pm »
This was my first attempt at fitting a guard on a hidden tang knife.  I ended up getting a decent fit, but there's still a little slop around the tang that I need to work on.  1084 blade, just under 9" OAL with a 4" blade.  Sheat is rawhide over veggie tan leather, stitched with cotton string and cover with snake skin.  I whittled and chopped on some osage for a while with it last night and it still shaved when I got done.

Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline johnston

Re: Hidden tang skinner
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 02:49:30 pm »
Awesome. Really like that.

Lane

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:31:11 pm »
Very nice knife Jonathan. I like your etched trade mark too.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 04:01:59 pm »
Nice knife! I like the sheeth too! Very cool! Great work!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 07:37:07 pm »
Very cool knife.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 08:39:11 pm »
sweet knife jonathan
bryan irwin

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 10:50:18 pm »
Man, you are getting good, Jonathan. I found a Forge at the Flea Market last weekend and if it had not been so close to Christmas I would have probably bought it. I told the wife about it when I got home, she said how much, I said $175 and she told me to go back and get it, Merry Christmas. But, I didn't and I might kick my butt for it later. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 12:02:29 am »
That is sweet!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 08:03:54 am »
Very nice,got to love that. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 10:03:08 am »
Very nice! I like your trade-mark as well. My girlfriend gets on to me, I've made probably over 100 knifes without anything on the knife about my making it. I should do something I guess...
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 10:52:26 am »
Thanks for the kind words, everybody.  I really appreciate it.

Eddie, I'm guessing it was a coal forge?  That's not a bad price, but if you are interested in tinkering I'd suggest building a Lively style forge and burning wood or charcoal.  I imagine you've probably got plenty of wood scraps around from other projects, and you won't have to worry about making coke.  This kind of forge can be made in less than a day easy from materials most of us have laying around.  I can shoot you a link if you'd like.

This is the first knife I've etched, Greg.  I probably spent an hour or more at work doodling out different designs before I finally settled on this.   :) I guess it's probably a good idea to mark them for anybody that might end up with them on down the line.

Here's another one I just finished up.  This one is done in the neo-tribal style, 1084 steel again, 7.5" OAL with a 4" blade.  Spalted something-or-other scales.

Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 10:56:27 am »
Both are real nice . Good work man,
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 11:50:03 am »
Love em both!  The leather in the handle on the first one is a nice touch, looks cool  ;D

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 02:34:27 pm »
I love em both too! Great job on that one too! Shoot me that link if you get to it jonathan, I need another hobbie ::) thanks

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 03:15:02 pm »
I sent the link to you and Eddie, Josh.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks again, everybody.  I'm wrapping up one more for Christmas that I'll try to get posted this weekend. 
Cleveland, NC