Author Topic: Cast iron skillets and pans  (Read 10289 times)

Offline Badger

Cast iron skillets and pans
« on: December 13, 2011, 10:03:28 pm »
   A few weeks ago my ex wife gave me back all my cast iron cook ware. been divorced over 20 years so it was a nice surprise. They were in very sad shape to say the least. Last weekend I built a roaring bonfire from my bow making scraps and put the whole collection on the fire, just cooked them to death. Cooled them off went over them lighty with some steel wool and they looked like new. I brushed them all down with a thin coat of oil and reseasoned them over the coals on the fire repeating the process about 3 times with each pan and I am proud of my new pans. They couldn't look any better right off the show room floor.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Cast iron skillets and pans
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 10:20:40 pm »
Better late than never, hey Steve!  As soon as I read the "ex" word I thought the story was going somewhere else... like assault with a frying pan :)

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 11:03:59 pm »
   My mom saw that frying pan over the head thing on TV and tried it out on my dad one day when he came home a bit tipsy. She regretted it, did much more damage than she intended.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 11:08:21 pm »
Yea, my wife almost nailed an intruder one day but he backed off when he saw how mad she was and how big the frying pan was.

Since I have done karate for over 40 years she said her style was Frypan-Do.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 05:00:36 am »
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 07:08:35 am »
One thing about cast iron,it can get in bad shape pretty quick ,but don't take long to get it back in shape,I love mine,I use the stuff all the time. :) I have one that was my grand maws. She passed at 96 married at 15 and said she had it all her married life.It is as slick as glass,you can cook an egg in it without adding oil if you
want to.It's like Teflon. I have mine at the cabin,Miss Joanie don't like them,she has to use soap and water to clean everything and that just don't work with Iron. :) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 08:25:19 am »
  I like you PAPPY have the ones  that were handed down clear from my great grand mother. I use mine and have eaten out of mine sence I was a kid. I have 11 of all sizes that were theirs but use only the 2 they use daily. A 12 INCH ROUND ONE AND A 10 INCH SQUARE ONE. Your right you have to take daily care of them when you use them.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline cracker

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 09:31:02 am »
I got a bunch of cast iron I use it all the time. At first my wife didn't like it but after a few years she came around the only thing she don't use it for now is boiling. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 09:54:39 am »
  Like Pappy says, cast iron is just like teflon if you treat it right. I normaly just take a paper towel and appy a thin coat of oil for eggs or anything else. Pan cakes I use nothing. Hash browns from a small cast iron skillet are hard to duplicate, I use about a 1/4" oil for the hash browns.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 02:11:32 pm »
Badger that's like finding money in a coat or a pair of jeans.  That was nice of your ex to give them back. 
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 02:28:00 pm »
Just about the time I get mine seasoned well my wife sticks em in the diswasher and I have to start all over again. Ongoing debate in my house! A coworker once was leaving at the end of her summer season and asked me if I wanted some cast iron. I said sure. her sister had given them to her and she had bee using them as flower pots! Had to run a wire brush around them before I could do anything with them.  My dad said the square ones are for cooking"square" meals!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 04:32:03 pm »
Yes Sir,

I have my Great Grandma's cast iron skillets, a 12" and a 14" High Side.

Also have two old style (Classic?) dutch ovens that I found buried in a friend's Garden Plot.
One big one and a smaller one, complete with lids. Offered them to my buddy but he didn't care for em.
The ovens had been buried for at least thirty years as that's how long my friend's family had lived there.
The family had no recollection of the ovens.

Had to clean and re-season them, they Look, Cook and Bake like Champs!

And there's just something about a Venison Stew done in cast iron...  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline chigger

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 08:03:48 pm »

My favorite skillet is a #7 Griswald my Mom left me ,She bought it off of Popcorn Sutton the Legendary Moonshiner.If you wonder who he is there is a Documentary about him called " The Last Run" he was caught ,convicted ,and was waiting to be sentenced when he took his life ,couln't take jail.

Offline chigger

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 08:15:58 pm »

Here is another Pic of Popcorn Sutton , who all knows what the bone is in his hat?

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 09:15:19 pm »
   My guess would be the bone came from a revenue collecter! Or maybe a possum or coon.