Author Topic: Cast iron skillets and pans  (Read 10281 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Cast iron skillets and pans
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 10:07:21 pm »
Man... That was a Purty BIG Coon!!!

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Parnell

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 10:28:42 pm »
Last present my Pop gave me, first present my wife gave me, cast iron cookware.
1’—>1’

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 10:50:06 pm »
I've been using my generic cast iron skillet for rendering out deer fat for several years.  It's so non-stick the skillet will slide off a flat surface if you ain't watchin'!

Griswold is highly collectible these days, some pieces sell for thousands of dollars.  Many people don't know it but Griswold also made the cast iron for dozens of other companies.  All three of my cast irons are made by Griswold without their stamp on it.  Griswold cast some of the finest grain iron in the industry, the pores in the iron are small and very regularly distributed.  They did not include any recycled steel or iton so they didn't have problems with hard spots or hot spots in the cookware. 

Modern cast from China is full of half melted steel and globs of sulfur and other compuunds.  The pores are large very unevenly distributed and cause the pans to warp as they heat, even crack at high temps.  With the large pores they just don't ever really "season" up like they should. 

Put more iron in your diet by putting your diet in iron!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 07:15:41 am »
Coon P@#$%#r  ;) Nice, I have on of those on a neckless, Miss Joanie won't let
me wear it when she found out what it was. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 11:49:08 am »
Coon P@#$%#r  ;) Nice, I have on of those on a neckless, Miss Joanie won't let
me wear it when she found out what it was. ;) :)
   Pappy

They are ALL sisters Pappy >:D >:D

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 10:41:42 pm »
I have one sharpened I carry when I go out to a nice BBQ restruant. :D I thought all Southern Gentleman had one for a tooth pick?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 03:51:11 pm »
Yes Sir,

I have a few, one of which is a tooth pick.
The Missus gives me that "Not if you want any kisses" look when I pick it up to carry it along to dinner.

Sometimes marage is fun, the rest of the time its Work!   :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 04:28:13 pm »
We called them wolf whistles. A fun party game watching folks trying to get a sound out of it.  >:D
  Steve Parker(Hillbilly) knew Popcorn. He was a real character!
  I love cast iron for cooking but my wife hates it. Says it is too heavy.  ::)  I have a flat, round griddle I use for grilled cheese and never wash it. Just wipe it before it cools and the butter helps with the curing. I have 4 or 5 other pieces from about 6" to 12" with a lid. I also have a bean pot I got from Venisonberger a few years ago.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 12:34:37 pm »
All this talk about cast iron skillets got me interested in one. Wife brought me home a 10" Lodge from Walmart a couple days ago. I cooked elk steak in mushroom and onion gravy in it, mighty good.  No stick and easy clean-up, I think I will hunt up a few more sizes.

There is a huge backwoods flea market(mostly rusty junk) every Tuesday near the local cattle sale barn. Several of the vendors have vintage cast iron in a variety of conditions. I remember seeing plenty of Griswold stuff. I never gave the stuff a second look, always looking for draw knives and such.  I will look at the cast iron more closely next time I am there.

Offline Badger

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 12:50:05 pm »
   Eric, no matter what condition they are in just put them over a raging fire and get them hot enough to burn everything off and they will be just like brand new once you reseason them.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 12:55:37 pm »
Man I didn't know Popcorn was dead.   :'(  I've got the DVD he made "The Last Run".  What a great show about a great ....uh, illegal drink.  ;) 

As for cast iron, that's all we use in our house, after nearly 11 years of marrige, my wife treats the skillets and the good knives better than she treats me sometimes.  We use two 12", a 10" and an 8" for most of our cooking, but we have 3 dutch ovens, one is big, maybe 14" all have lids, a gridle and a wok.  I always pick them up if I can get them cheap, free.  I'll wire brush them w/ a wire wheel on my grinder, then reseason and have never had a problem.  I like to take my die grinder and engrave the last name of a newly wed couple on them and give them for gifts with a good sharp Old Hickory knife included.  The rule w/ cast iron is never use soap and hardly ever use hot water either.  Just wipe them clean or cool water scrub and back on the stove top to dry.

Man I can't believe ol' Popcorn, I'm gonna go watch that show.  My kids like it too.  :o, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2011, 10:04:33 pm »
When I get an old rusty one I wire brush it an coat it heavy with Crisco and then stick it in a hot fire. It sure makes them look good. I was at the Flea Market this morning and saw a first for me and Im still kicking my butt for not buying it. Has anybody ever seen an electric cast iron skillet about 12" with the lid that worked?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 10:30:33 pm »
  My grandaddy shared a couple gobbler camps with his cousin. He's aways bring a quart to turkey camp with him. That  POP CORN made.
  Thats looks like a bear D*&% not a coon I have a couple of each. TO LONG AND BIG AROUND FOR A COON. Unless thats one big coon.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline chigger

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 09:53:40 pm »

I've got one from a coon that big that hangs on my rear view mirror.It came  from a big coon..All the old time used to carry a smaller version for a tooth pick.

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2011, 12:01:02 pm »
Yea, my wife almost nailed an intruder one day but he backed off when he saw how mad she was and how big the frying pan was.

Since I have done karate for over 40 years she said her style was Frypan-Do.

I just spewed my coffee all over the screen! That's funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Yeah, I've bought a few new cast iron skillets and they are fine, but the old ones work just as well or better.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery