Author Topic: Hog hunting PICS added  (Read 9500 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Hog hunting PICS added
« on: December 13, 2011, 12:46:56 pm »
I went hog hunting Friday evening after our school Christmas staff party..... Needed to get out in the woods..

I sat in my blind and about 1:30 AM I heard a hog eating corn.  I then saw the trail cam flash.  I tried to spot him in my scope as it was a full moon, but the cross hairs are too fine.  I held up the spotlight and spotted him there eating corn.  Solo and big.  I held the light in my left hand and the 270 in my right hand.  I turned the light on, aimed and fired.  That beast took off and did not show any signs of having been hit.  I was pretty bummed as I sat there in the cold and still darkness.  I waited about 15 minutes and went to look for blood.  There was none where the hog was standing and took off from.  That meant I either missed or there was not an exit wound.  I looked some more and found small amounts of blood and what appeared to be lung tissue. 

I decided to wait until morning to track the hog especially since there was very little blood.  I headed home and was thankful for a nice warm bed.  In the morning Diego and I returned.  The child tracked the hog and spotted blood and tracks better than I could.  He tracked him until he found him 200 yards under some large cedar trees.  I found the entry wound.  It was a perfect shoot in the heart/lung area.  The bullet did not pass onto the other side and there was not an exit wound.  I was surprised at how little the hog bled as it ran off at what appeared to be a full gallop.  He was a big boar and to big and stinky to eat. 

Cipriano
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 11:57:43 am by criveraville »
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Hog hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 12:53:03 pm »
Too big and stinky to eat?  What do you do w/ them then?  Are you hunting to erradicate them?  Just wondeing.  I'd have to keep somethin.  Good shootin' anyways. dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline criveraville

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 01:07:20 pm »
Yes.  I tried to cook boar meat once from a big boar that my friend gave me that had been processed into sausage.  I cooked it before church one Sunday.  Do you remember what a portajohn smells like in the middle of July at about 3 PM?  Well that is what my house smelled like after cooking that boar meat.  If it had been a sow I would have processed it or if it had been a smaller boar. 

I kept the head for a skull mount and am picking up the leg bones once the coyotes clean them up.  Hogs are a huge problem down here.  They eat everything including turkey and quail nest and are very hard to hunt.  They mostly only come out at night and are super skittish.  This is only the second hog I have harvested. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:34:08 pm by criveraville »
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 02:04:43 pm »
You got any pictures?  What part of Texas do you live in?
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 02:07:46 pm »
LOL on the portalet Criver.

We are starting to get them around here now, hope to go for one someday.

Sounds fun, 1:00am, armed, in the woods, mean pigs.  Sounds FUN!

good job, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 06:20:08 pm »
My wife won't even let me bring stinky boar meat in the house.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline johnston

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 09:02:43 pm »
Good hunt there Cipriano. Really admire the way you include your son in your activities.

You sure did right leaving that old boar in the woods. Damn things stink.

Lane

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 09:13:24 pm »
Interestingly, I've butchered wild boar up to almost 300 lbs and have yet to get one we couldn't eat.  I'm quite sure there are stinky, inedible boar out there, but so far haven't gotten one.  Makes me wonder if it matters what they're eating??  I wondered for awhile if it was just the old fighters that were so bad, but we got one this spring that was about #230 with a heavy shield on him and both tusks broken and his meat was fine.  Weird.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 11:17:03 pm »
George;

I think a lot has to do with how fast they die, are they mating or fighting. I've shot boar hogs at the Alexacarri Plantation that were eating oats in the food plots and not chasing sows that tasted no different than sows. But, I've never seen one of those great big Boars that are covered in scars, missing ears from dogs and chipped teeth that didn't stink. Maybe again because they don't fall dead real quick. :-\
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 01:53:17 am »
Hi Folks,  I've never hunted any hogs, but I've heard a lot about "boar taint".   I've also heard it's easy to avoid. Just castrate the boar ~ 2 months before you slaughter it!      Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 03:07:27 am »
It could very well be whether the boar was sexually active or not.   I haven't killed any real big pigs but I have a nephew who is a big boar magnet.  Both of his 2 big ones tasted fine though one stunk a little.  Also, people have the mistaken idea that hogs in the wild routinely get massive, but that's not true.  A 250# hog is very rare in the wild, on the order of a Pope and Young buck while deer hunting.  Most of what we shoot is between 50 and 150lbs.  There are game ranches where trapped wild boar are released and are impressively large (it's illegal in Texas to release a pig once it's been trapped, but boar can be released into a completely fenced game ranch).  They paid dearly for those big boar and consequently the hunters pay more too.  In the wild, however, a real big boar (300lbs +) is extremely rare.  I know a man who  has killed several between 300 and 400lbs and at least a couple higher in the wild.  He is a hog hunting legend down here.  This is what a hog over 400lbs looks like.

http://www.texasboars.com/photopost/albums/userpics/wildboar.jpg

I never asked Kevin if he ate that one so I don't know if it was rank or not.  I'd sure like a crack at a big one like that someday, but I'd hate to meet it unarmed in the dark.  I would never try a stone point out of a self bow at a hog like that, the vitals are completely protected by close to 2" of gristle.  Also, the recovery would be downright dangerous.   There used to be guys down here that hunt with dogs that would catch and castrate boar so they could be caught again later and eaten.  That is now against the law, once they're caught they must be killed out right, taken to an approved holding facility, or taken directly to a hog buyer where they are killed and processed.

Sorry for the hijack Mr. C.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline johnston

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 03:36:12 am »
Gonna hijack for one minute.

When I was a kid we once bought a hog at auction and had him processed. Was a farm raised top-hog
about 220 lbs. Processor told us that the meat might not be any good cause though the hog had been
cut one of his testicles had not dropped.

When my mama tried to fry the meat it stunk so bad it ran off the dogs. True story.

Lane

Offline criveraville

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 11:57:27 am »
Last pic

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Hog hunting PICS added
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 12:08:36 pm »
Nice Hog. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline criveraville

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 12:34:10 pm »
You got any pictures?  What part of Texas do you live in?

I am in Stephenville, TX.