Author Topic: Holly Wood  (Read 12993 times)

Offline bowsandroses

Holly Wood
« on: December 12, 2011, 10:29:26 pm »
Well I went on the late hunt for the last weekend in Western Oregon. Turns out the Black tails pitched me another no hitter. >:( However I refused to come home empty handed. >:D So I got a couple pieces of Vine Maple and a couple pieces of Holly wood, which brings me to this question. Has any one tried making a bow out of Holly Wood? The piece I'm holding in the picture I was thinking shorty D style recurve. Never tried building a D style or recurve before but this one is half there on it's own. After my shorty Juniper flat bow got such a spooked response :laugh: I thought what the heck lets try going short in a conventional manner.
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Holly Wood
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:40:52 pm »
I have never tried Holly but I have heard it is good bow wood. You aint kidding it is half done lol, Nice Viney you got there too! Thanks for posting and let us know how it works, I would bet if you reduce it down and seal the ends it will dry fairly fast like most white woods.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 11:55:41 pm »
Thank you Josh! I will get out, reduce and seal it first thing in the morning and get it in doors to dry. When I get to work on it I will post my findings thanks again.

Hugh Ridenour

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 12:02:02 am »
Make sure and seal the ends and back(if you debark the back) good as I think I recall it checks easily but I cant remember now. Someone else will weigh in soon.
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 12:15:42 am »
I know from a carver friend that holly checks easily. You may want to split or saw the holly in half, lengthwise,and bind the halves back together with spacers in between them. This would give give the moisture a place to escape and keep the staves from warping. I've never worked holly so I'm just guessing about this treatment. I have used it on an osage pole with success.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 12:24:59 am »
Thanks Pat and again Elk T. That is going to be helpful info. I'll try to treat it like Juniper split it leave the bark on and dry it in a cool place seal the ends for Juniper is bad for checking to.

Hugh

Hugh Ridenour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 12:33:14 am »
Let us know the results of the curing and bow building. Is that American holly(Ilex opaca)?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 01:32:02 am »
Yeah Pat taken Sunday from the western Cascades. I never seen it more than a real bushy bush before but when I seen Holly leaves and berries coming out of a straight tree about fifteen feet tall, I dropped my gear pulled my bone saw and it was game on. >:D Oh and I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Hugh Ridenour

Offline Keenan

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 01:57:37 am »
Congratulations on your staves. The VM should be great and I have heard that Holly is good but have not tried it yet. Keep us posted when you start and we can learn together. ;)

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 03:34:32 am »
Thanks Keenan I'll do.

Hugh Ridenour

Offline wally

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 08:22:11 am »
I made a holly bow in England-is it the same stuff?
The bow was only small about 28lb and because of me hurrying the tillering  it took a bit of set. It shot well with plenty of spring back.
It's great to work and polishes beautifully to look like ivory.
I 1/4erd a 4" stave and left the bark on and just sealed the end=luckily had no checking!
Doing again I would take off bark when green as it was difficult to get off later and didn't look good.
I've got a 6" stave now and I think I'll 1/4 it, debark it, and then seal all over.
Be good to see how you get on with your piece.
I've made a couple of Penobscot bows and just for the crack want to make one with Holly as main bow and Ivy as the front bow-the holly and the ivy.
and hey! Let's be careful out there

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 12:03:05 pm »
Hey! You only have to flip the tip on one end!

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 02:21:22 pm »
I would think a Hollywood bow would, at first glance look real nice and polished, full of action and beauty. But upon closer inspection, you'll find the bow to be rather unremarkable, completely uninspiring, and lacking any creativity or originality.
Many folks who see your Hollywood bow will be impressed with it and may start thinking that it is the best example that all bows should aspire to.
The tools required to work the Hollywood are very expensive and must be rented through a specific dealer. Outside tools are strictly not welcome. Bowyers must beware, as too much exposure to Hollywood can lead to inflated sense of ego, political insight, and vanity.

Oh, wait, you said Holly wood. My mistake!  >:D >:D >:D

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 03:03:13 pm »
Wally thanks for the insight good to have I think I will debark and seal the back. Many thanks. ;)

Tom yeah mother nature is helping out on this one never tried building this style of bow before so I can probably use all the help I can get. ;D

Matt good thing it's your mistake for I may be a little chunky and red neckish for walking those streets. :o

Oh Wally don't know if ours is the same as your's but I'll asume at least close characters, the Ivory color sounds like what I see. :)

Hugh Ridenour