Author Topic: ELB build along & piller tiller discussion  (Read 19041 times)

Offline BowJunkie

Re: ELB build along - osage
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 11:59:26 pm »
Disregard the dimensions Shaun, I just reread the post and saw them.
I was focused more on the bow rather than reading  ::)        ,,,, Sweet looking bow
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Shaun

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 12:56:28 am »
Finished this one most of the way and added beeswax and handle.

For the wax finish I heat the wood and rub the wax piece along as I heat, use my finger to spread the hot wax (ouch). Once the bow is completely covered, I re heat and use an absorbent clean shop rag to remove excess wax and polish.

Full draw still a little off but will work on it again after its shot in more.  Top limb does not want to come to full compass and is complicated by some flip tip profile, twisted grain and a heat straightened woop de do in the last third (see unbraced pic). Its beat me for now, but I'll be back at it later. Happy with bottom limb.

Specs 70.5" NTN 55# @ 28" (1 1/16 x 7/8 handle, 15/16 x 9/16 mid limb, 1/2 round at tips)

Offline Shaun

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 01:01:43 am »
Another just wrapped up. Yew with horn nocks 68" NTN, 43# @ 27" TruOil finish. The measure on this on is 1 1/8 x 1 handle, 1 x 13/16 mid limb, 9/16 round tips. The actual dimensions of each bow will vary because of individuality in each piece of wood, density, modulus, etc.

Sorry about the dark pics

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 01:08:30 am by Shaun »

Offline Shaun

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 01:07:45 am »
More about piller tiller posts. Dimensions not critical, just a good solid base that can be  clamped and will not move.  This set made from scraps around the shop, SPF (white wood or technically Spruce, Pine, Fir) soft 2 x 4's and a chunk of some 5/4 poplar for the base - 2x would work fine for a base. The softer the wood the better for the post as it will not dent/scratch the bow. I rasped out a dish and burnished where the bow tips slides. I believe Brad's set had carpet scraps on the tops.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: ELB build along & piller tiller discussion
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 01:29:27 am »
Very cool concept Shaun.  Your tiller is so beautiful in these last few bows I maybe should look into this idea.  ;D  This old dog don't mind learning new tricks!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 01:53:15 am »
I'm fascinated by this method.  So, do you floor tiller at all or just go right to the pillars as soon as the bow bends at all?  There's definitely a spot on one of my workbenches for this setup. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline dbb

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 01:56:04 am »
It obviously works because your last two was perfect...and it saves some space too.
Perhaps make some from those supports with plastic rollers that you use with bandsaws and planers...

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline RyanY

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 01:57:34 am »
Have you noticed any handshock at all with your osage bows of this style?

Offline Shaun

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 02:18:42 am »
gstoneberg, I floor tiller before the cull and flex the limbs against the floor several times after each wood removal to help set the change.

dbb, rollers might be tricky because the bow will try to flip if it has backset or is round. I usually flatten a small spot in the center where the clamp rests to help stabilize.

ryoon4690, some shock with light arrows. Much variability in shooting quality with my ELB's much more so than flat bows. Some of them are just sweet, others are finicky. I think this is a matter of fine tiller tuning in-the-hand and limb timing balance.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 02:20:21 am »
Yes Sir!

Thank You for sharing your Build Along and Tillering system.

Regards,

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline coaster500

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 02:49:25 am »
Really!!

Great thread!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 09:12:24 am »
   Although your method looks good as well as sounds good. Your still over stressing your limbs. By not tillering to brace height. Ledding to more set and string follow than if you don't tiller to brace height.
  Always work by tillering to your target weight never drawing ( ANY BENDING) your bow until you've reached it. Not like your doing by drawing when to heavy like you said. Your over stressing your limbs. Causing set and string follow. Sure you can make a bow like this. It just won't be as good as it could be. Speeds shouldn't be involved in building selfbows.
  You could try clamping those stave's down when green like your doing with that bar clamp.  Then you eliminate the step of heating the stave to put reflex in. If your worried about speed. Cut it into semi  bow forum I use a ratchet strap or hang cinder blocks off the center.
  SLOW DOWN you won't regret it and you'll build nicer bows.
  Noth trying to change your mine build your bows the way you like, just pointing out your misstakes.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Shaun

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2011, 10:22:44 am »
crooketarrow,  I disagree with you assessment of this method.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 04:31:50 pm by Shaun »

Offline johnston

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2011, 11:11:09 am »
Thanks for the build along Shaun. Much food for thought.
Real nice bows also.

Lane

blackhawk

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2011, 12:52:18 pm »
I don't see how using this set up correctly by the same rules for low set tiller,and by an experienced person who knows not to go past any hinges or desired weight wood incur any more than normal set or stress than a long string on a tree. I as well disagree with crooketarrow.