Author Topic: Flint in NM Sacromento mtn region?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline iowabow

Flint in NM Sacromento mtn region?
« on: December 06, 2011, 01:08:28 pm »
I am going to be in the Alamogordo NM region in a few weeks and was wondering if there might be a place that I could find some flint? I will have a good 4X4 so I should be able to get around.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline mjflinty

Re: Flint in NM Sacromento mtn region?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 05:00:09 pm »
Well, I lived there for 6 months and could only find Rhyolite. There is flint in the mountains but, the lens are very small and the surrounding limestone is very dense and thick. I was there doing archaeological fieldwork and most of the artifacts we found were "exotic" materials...  so if the old guys brought in rock... there's nothing worth while there.

Also, watch out for the dang mesquite thorns!

Later,
Michael

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 06:33:22 pm »
Wish I could help ya with flint there John. If you go a little south toward El Paso (can't remember the highway 57 or something) you can do some quality splunking in Oro Grande (big gold). Mines everywhere and you can go anywhere ya want in there. Pretty cool, can see white sands from there and haul out some fools gold. I did find some knappable stuff in there but not flint and really, really scarce - light brown in color.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 07:53:16 pm »
Don't forget to check as many landscape yards as you can.  There's agate west of you and chalcedony and chert to the south.  Most of it will probably require heat treating.  Large landscape yards sometimes import rocks from nearby states (Arizona in your case).  Also check for obsidian in the rocks shops, if any.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 12:01:03 pm »
OK THAT IS SOME GOOD INFO!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 02:03:14 am »

If you wander around a bit, you can find some thick fused glass, that glows in the dark........  ::) ;D ;D

Wayne