Author Topic: Hawthorn Bow  (Read 26853 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Hawthorn Bow
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2011, 08:37:09 am »
Yup, nice bow. I particulary like the diagonal symmetry of the handle, V stylish.
We have tons of Hawthorn in the Uk, I've only tried it once, it seems nice wood but the bit I had was full of weird grain swirls and twist (ended up in the corner of shame :-[). They seem to grow with trunks like a series of columns stuck together. I shall keep my eye out for a smaller diameter piece and have another go.
In most of my full draw pics, there's one in the background :).
It's always a dilemma letting people try your bows, being a bit of a show off I generally let people have a go, but only ever with my arrows to avoid overdraw.
I once had a chap take a recurve laminated crossbow prod and start bending it over his knee the wrong way... I nearly exploded, never mind the bow.
On 'have a go days' if there is someone who really has the 'feel' I'll let 'em have a go with one of my primitives so they can feel a real bow rather than the tired old low poundage club longbows. I've been lucky so far and not had any damage, but a couple of target archers have forgotten to hold on >:(.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2011, 04:07:09 pm »
Dang nice like em character bows

Offline Qwill

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2011, 04:36:48 pm »
I agree with your appraisal of Hawthorne as bow wood. I've made two bows from Hawthorn, both were very nice, despite propeller twists and other "character" issues. The first was 60# at 28" and the second was 48# at 28". In some ways, it seems to act like Serviceberry. I also use the stuff for walking sticks and, axe handles and makeshift hammers. It's tough and a pain in the rear to split (not to mention harvest. The thorns will get stuck in my skin and fester.)

TurtleCreek

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2011, 08:27:34 pm »
Good job, love the character in that one.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2011, 04:16:32 pm »
It's been awhile since this thread. 

When I tiller a bow I not only tiller by limb strain but by how it feels in my hand as I draw it.

Hawthorne reacts quite well to heat-treating
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline druid

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2011, 06:30:51 pm »
This is one more of your great bows Marc- it is good to be mentioned as example of excellent and skillfull  work, as always. Thank you for answering.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2011, 01:19:31 pm »
Hi Marc,

I'm working on a stave right now that has some similar character to this one.  Could you tell me a little about your method for doing the thickness tapering?  I would really appreciate it!