Author Topic: New Elm Bow  (Read 15357 times)

Offline Dane

New Elm Bow
« on: July 24, 2007, 08:38:23 pm »
Well, here is a new bow, for what it is worth. I am not entirely happy with it, but again, I think it came out okay. This was my first successful stave bow. It was an elm stave Jamie had provided me via the Connecticut primitive gathering that happened earlier this summer, where I got it to the early floor tillering stage.

It is 65 inches end to end, and pulls at 49 lbs. at 27 inches.

I ended up, I think, inducing some set by not having the stave quite seasoned when I was in the early tillering stage, with about 2" or a bit more of brace. Nevertheless, it seems to be a great performer, very fast and no hand shock at all, very zippy. I thought it would be a dog at first, but a few trips to the range have at least put that fear to rest.

I had to steam it twice to get the string aligned to the center of the stave, and that worked out well. The stain I used was unusual. I wanted a natural stain, and made a two part stain out of black tea (Irish breakfast, actually, :) and an iron acetate solution made from letting a big ball of steel wool soak overnight in a bowl of malt vinigar. The tea I boiled, let steep for a few hours, and then wiped on, let sit for a few mintues, and then, I wiped on the iron acetate solution. It began to darken immediately, stopping maybe after 15 minutes.

I made the tip overlays and arrow plates from, believe it or not, a couple of bone folders you buy at a craft store for paper and book making. Cut the pieces out, worked them with a power sander and then file, final finishing, and glued them on. I put a plate on each side, as I wasn't sure which limb I wanted to have as the top limb. The handle is just a strip of oiled leather wrapped on and glued where it needed to stay put.

The decorations are just four strips painted on using acylics. I wanted to try a real primitive pigment, and am moving in that direction. In fact, I had envisioned painting on some neolithic cave animal design, but at the last minute, decided to keep it simple. I made a 200 lb. linen flemish twist string for it while lying next to a salt water swimming pool and the ocean at Booth Bay Harbor, Maine, where my wife and pug and I celebrated her last birthday (the good life, pity it isn't every day, :) a couple of weeks ago. The finish is satin laquer, about five coats.

So, this is my rememberance of the Ct event. Overall, I am happy with it. I wish I had done a few things differently (for one thing, something about the tiller bothers me, but I can't quite put my finger on it. It could have been better, I suppose), but there it is, and here at the pictures. Thanks for reading. Oh yes, I don't think this should be put in for the bow of the month contest, however. I've seen far better bows than this one this month.

Dane 

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 08:42:34 pm by Dane »
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

brokennock

Re: New Elm Bow
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 02:15:58 am »
I like it Dane. Nice work.  I've not yet gotten to work with any elm.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 05:41:11 am »
Nice job Dana,I like the looks of that ,tiller looks ok and don'nt look like it took to much set,
about normal I would say.How do you like working with staves rather than boards ? :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 05:45:29 am »
Dane nice first stave bow, I like your idea for staining the bow and I like the simple look also.

Any chance of a full draw picture on the tiller tree? Looks like both limbs could bend more
near the fade and perhaps in the outer third. But hey I'm a rookie too eh :)

How was the elm to work with? I have a few staves from a small tree I managed to get and it was a bugger to split.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 06:03:17 am »
Nice job Dana,I like the looks of that ,tiller looks ok and don'nt look like it took to much set,
about normal I would say.How do you like working with staves rather than boards ? :)
   Pappy

I'm glad I'm not the only one up at o'dark thirty. Thanks Pappy. Staves are great fun, and an entirely different animal. I was actually suprised by it at times, and it made me think quite a bit more. I also got the feeling it was guiding me more than me it, if that makes sense.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 06:09:07 am »
Dane nice first stave bow, I like your idea for staining the bow and I like the simple look also.

Any chance of a full draw picture on the tiller tree? Looks like both limbs could bend more
near the fade and perhaps in the outer third. But hey I'm a rookie too eh :)

How was the elm to work with? I have a few staves from a small tree I managed to get and it was a bugger to split.

Thanks, Dana. Elm was absolutely excellent to work with. I didn't, of course, have to split the tree myself.

It didn't seem to like a draw knife, so I used mostly a block plane, rasps, and cabinet scrapers after that. I'll have to take a shot on the tree when I get a chance, I only have some from earlier in the tillering process.

Funny how it is easier to see issues in other people's tillering, isn't it? Maybe we get blind with our own work? :) I do need to keep working toward having more bend closer to the fades, a block of some sort for me, but I'm getting better, I think. And, I don't think I am going to alter this any more. I want to keep it at this weight, and it performs well for me, so good enough for this one.

Dane

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 06:29:12 am »
Yea I'm up at dark thirty too much :(
Have fun with her and shoot straight Dane.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 07:08:40 am »
I know what you mean,stave's tend to do that. :) Never built any board bows so I don't know about them but I would guess it would be more straight forward. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jpitts

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 07:41:07 am »
Dane, I like what you did with the staining job. I may have to try that on the BL I'm working on. The tiller looks good. If you take more pics, I'd like to see close-up's of the tips .  Thanks  ;D
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 07:42:50 am »
Good looking bow, Dane. I really like the color of that stain, too-turned out nice.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Dane

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 08:02:17 am »
Pappy, Tim Baker said that using a board, you are just freeing the wood for that shape, and I do think that is a pretty good way of putting it. If you ever try it, I will bet your work will be exceptional as always. Maybe you can find a board with 3 nails in it? :) And with some of the tropical woods, boards are the only practical way to go.

Thanks, Hillbilly and JPitts. The stain was a lot of fun to do, and it is edible, as well, ha ha. Have a nice cup o' tea while you work. Better pics would show the grays and browns it brought out. The iron acetate introduces tannin, such as is naturally found in oak, and you don't have to breath nasty fumes as well.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 08:03:59 am by Dane »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 08:56:04 am »
Very nice bow. You should use dry heat for correcting twists. Works better
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

jamie

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 09:43:42 am »
nice job dane you did good. im the same way with tiller. i can see a lot more when its someone elses bow. i have bows sitting in the basement that have been roughed out for up to a year that i just cant seem to figure out. then all of a sudden i just see the bow and get it done. peace

Offline Dane

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 10:27:06 am »
Thanks, Marc and Jamie.

I will try a heat gun one day, when I need to and want to. Although, the expression on the wife's face when I told her I was cooking a bow was very cool.

Dane

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 10:53:19 am »
Nice bow, Dane. Looks like a reliable work horse to me. How well do you shoot it? That is the main thing!  I've not worked much with elm. I do have a few staves. I ought to give itr another try.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC