Author Topic: Your finishes  (Read 8474 times)

Offline mspink

Your finishes
« on: December 06, 2011, 01:31:44 pm »
Hey guys, was wondering what you guys use for the best waterproofing for wood bows. Where you can get it and how you apply it. All natural or manufactured or a mixture of both. Just wondering. Thanks.
Aim small miss small!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Your finishes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 01:43:19 pm »
I use spar urethane. I prefer the spray. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 01:45:36 pm »
Not primitve, but I have always used Min-wax Wipe-on for both bows and arrows.
Very easy to use and found at hardware or paint stores.

What convinced me was ....I lost an arrow one spring while turkey hunting and my son found it in the fall while deer hunting.  It was in the rain and sun for maybe 6 months and it was in amazing condition!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline dwardo

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 01:55:52 pm »
I use spar urethane. I prefer the spray. Jawge

Same here. Not exactly primitive but does a good job. Still yet to try tru-oil as that seems to be a favourite.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 02:00:48 pm »
Poly, Tru Oil, Formbys Tung Oil mix, Shellac, rendered fat and bees wax all work. You will get good and bad points about each. Personal preference is what its all aboout. All will work for common "joe's" just fine. Romance plays a part for some guys. They may want all natural, or they want what the ol' timers used, or one cost more than the other and so on. The best type will never be settled. Your best bet is to simply pick one and learn about it prior to applying. Some need a fresh coat each year, or several times a year, some never need to be touched again. Some stink and some smell MMMMMM good! Warm bee's wax makes me hungry everytime!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 02:10:20 pm »
I use Tru-Oil on most of my bows and some arrows. I have used hand rubbed bear grease and love it for primitive bows and I add finely ground charcoal(other earth pigments work too) to "kill" the "white" of a white wood bow. It really makes the grain on the belly jump too.
 On most on my primitive arrows I use pine pitch varnish I make or hand rubbed bear grease.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 02:23:27 pm »
I mostly use tru-oil.  Usually around 6 or 7 thin coats applied with a cosmetic sponge.  It makes a very glossy finish.  I took a picture of my reflection in my wifes bow.  Tru-oil doesn't have a strong smell so you can apply it in the house with out the wife complaining.

I have used spray spar urethane on a couple of bows.  It is easy to apply and comes in satin and gloss so you have an option.  It has a stronger smell.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 02:34:18 pm »
I do usually add a quick spray of satin poly over Tru-Oil to eliminate that glossy shine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Will H

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 02:48:44 pm »
I like helsman spar urathane high gloss. You can find it at lowes. I apply it with a small 1" sponge brush and use a new brush with every coat sanding lightly with 600grit between coats then after 6 or 7 coats finishing off with a coat of spar urathane spray in satin or low gloss. Works well for me!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

UserNameTaken

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 02:51:40 pm »
Hey, pearl drums, What's bee's wax like as a finnish?

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 02:57:31 pm »
I use bear grease (i.e. rendered bear fat). I re-apply it fairly frequently (every week or so when I'm actively using a bow), but that takes a couple minutes and is no big deal to me. I get it from a bear. Actually, if you want to talk where I directly get it, I get it from a local game processor who saves me the fat from the bears he processes for people, and I render it down.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 03:00:02 pm »
Can you use deer fat?  How do you render it?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 03:06:22 pm »
I don't know if you can use deer fat or not. I can't think of a reason why you couldn't. I'll try using deer fat on a bow; I have plenty as the game processor has saved me probably 200 pounds from this season's deer for soap making and because I like eating it.

Rendering basically involves boiling the fat over a very, very low heat for a few hours to melt the fat and separate it from all membranes, meat and other body tissues and fluids. You pour the melted fat out of the container you're boiling it in and you have pure, clean fat. Like the lard you buy in a store (which is mostly from pigs).

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 03:10:39 pm »
I use spray Polly or shellac most of the time. Deer fat works good also. I just rendered it down like Eric and filtered it. I keep a small block in my refridgerator.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 03:39:28 pm »

Hey, pearl drums, What's bee's wax like as a finnish?

Water beads up on it, so I say its working good! You can put a wax over it like Marc mentioned.  I think it compares with Tru Oil when it comes to making the grain "pop". I love that part. And its natural if that is what theme your after on a particular bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.