Author Topic: liking the change in scenery  (Read 2109 times)

Offline recurve shooter

liking the change in scenery
« on: December 11, 2011, 02:49:57 pm »
well, as any of you who live in the southeast know, most of our hunting is done in really thick, semi jungle stuff. i hate that. i hate not being able to see anything. but the place Ive been hunting last year and this year is a really nice change. its 35ish hundred acres of public land in southeast Louisianan, and its mostly something called longleaf pine Savannah. its done by burning out the underbrush every few years. makes for some really nice, open hunting ground. its great for birds and allows me to actually hunt a little rather than sit, wait, and hope. looks like this. sorry about the crappy pics, cell phone cam.

and this is the little 6 pointer i got yesterday mornin

lets just shoot it

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: liking the change in scenery
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 05:38:23 pm »
Goes to show what the proper use of fire will do for wildlife management. Just ask an NDN - we been doin it for hundreds of years.  Yosemite Valley has only 5% of its original meadow land due to improper managemnt practices.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 06:52:54 pm »
The Public land I hunt here, Green Swamp Mngt, and Richloam is a combination of Jungle and planted pines which has a very good burn/ clear cut program. I believe both areas combined and ajoin each other are around 150,000 acres.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 11:18:31 am »
The National Forest Service is starting to "return" some of Bankhead National Forrest to this type of habitate.  I think the pines will be mostly Loblolly with some Longleaf mixed in.  Going to take quite a few years.

Nice buck deer.
Just out of curiosity...  What brand and caliber is that rifle?

Thanks
David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 02:18:57 pm »
Thanks Ridgerunner. its a Remington 742 in 308. its not super accurate, super light, super pretty, but 13 out of the 14 deer ive killed were with this gun and i love it. my pawpaw has two of them and my dad has one as well. nice rifles for inside 200 without a scope.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 04:15:36 pm »
I thought that looked like a 742.
I have one as well.  Mine is a 30-06 with a 18" carbine barrel.  It is MOST LOUD. :o
It is a great gun for hunting in all this thick southern stuff.
Over 30 years I have killed about 40 deer with mine. 
My dad killed a few with it years back.

Don't see well enough (anymore) to shoot rifles without a scope... 
An old style Weaver 4K sits on top of mine.

David

David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 01:50:20 pm »
they are awsome guns as long as you keep it close. iv killed 14 deer total, 13 of them with this rifle. :)

lets just shoot it