Author Topic: My quickest rifle deer hunt  (Read 4969 times)

Offline gstoneberg

My quickest rifle deer hunt
« on: December 06, 2011, 12:52:02 am »
Yesterday a friend and I headed to the lease for a deer hunt after church.  It's late in the season and I need some venison in the freezer so I didn't even take a bow.  We got caught in some bad traffic enroute and arrived late.  It had rained so much that we didn't chance taking the golf carts out and instead each picked a stand close enough to camp to walk to.  I got dressed a little slower than Johnny so he headed out first.    A couple minutes later I got my act together and stated walking.  I was going to go the opposite direction.  As I cleared the RV in camp I noticed a deer standing over by the road Johnny had just walked.  I couldn't believe it was really there, and a buck at that.  I moved to put some cover between us, put the shooting sticks up, he walked out into the open and I shot him.  Less than 5 minutes from leaving to deer down.  Here you can see the buck where he fell with camp behind him.  I was standing just to the left of that RV.

He's a 9pt, 130lbs live weight, my nicest Texas buck to date.  A half hour later Johnny got his own buck, a nice young 7 pointer.

It was a great, though short hunt.  The lease got a couple more inches of rain over night along with some snow, so we hunted this morning, seeing nothing and made a muddy, sloppy exit.  Johnny had never butchered his own deer so we knocked that out after we got home.  Great fun.  My deer is quartered and in the refrigerator.  Life is good.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: My quickest rifle deer hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 12:54:21 am »
Good work George, very little of it, but the work you did was good.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 01:05:44 am »
Fantastic hunt, George! Ask Mechslasher,"(Chris Cade) about waking me and Hillbilly up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 01:28:11 am »
Thats awesome,,Congratulations to you both.  Well done

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 01:40:25 am »
Way to go George. No need to drag it out all day.  ;)  Congrats to both of you. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 01:42:16 am »
Nice buck George!!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 03:21:10 am »
That's an exciting and productive hunt there Jorge. Both are great deer.  Congratulations.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 06:58:15 am »
Cool,meat in the freezer,hard to beat that. :) Good looking deer,both of them. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 10:01:54 am »
This story reminds me of a turkey hunt I took my 8 year old son on.  We step in the woods 10 yards turkey gobbled in a tree 40 yards away, it flew down walk toward us and within 3 minutes of hunting we bagged a turkey.  You got to love it when a plan comes together congrats.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 12:39:42 pm »
Great job George.  Sometimes that's the best hunting.  I killed two doe about two weeks ago and was in the woods for about an hour.  On my own property to beat, didn't even need a license, tagged as a landowner.  Didn't cost my anything but the gas to and from the check station.  Nice job both of you, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 12:45:26 pm »
No shame in putting meat in the freezer. Congrats George.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 12:55:30 pm »
Sounds like it was meant to be.  Congratulations.
1’—>1’

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 09:53:15 pm »
Been there and done that George.....dont blame you a bit.......when it is deer you are after you have to take the shot when you get it.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 11:04:24 pm »
Thanks all.  I usually feel like I'm grocery shopping when I use the rifle, but for some reason the buck made my heart pound just like when I'm bow hunting.  Very nice change.  Maybe it was the horns?  Turns out I should have expected this.  We put a trail cam overlooking the metal stock tank by the windmill to see if any deer were coming in to camp to drink.  Turns out this guy had been there a couple times before.

Didn't see these until I got back home.  As an interesting aside, this buck had horns outside his ears and the inside spread was 14".  These bucks are small down here.

We had a slight weather change on Monday and we did a very cold sit on Monday morning.

But, the deer weren't any more keen on the cold temps and stiff wind than we were.  Too bad.  I came down with a bad cold since the hunt.  Guess I'm not used to the cold and wind like I used to be.

George
St Paul, TX

youngbowyer

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 05:24:33 pm »
thats a fine buck George! What rifle are you shooting?