Author Topic: dog wood  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Dazv

dog wood
« on: December 03, 2011, 04:59:53 pm »
hi guys

Ive got a dog wood stave which is about 1and a half to 2 inches in diameter and 7 feet long but is it pretty knotty. I was just wondering what kind of dimensions would you guys go for??? I have never made a bow from dog wood but i have used it for arrow shafts.It was the bow that druid made from dog wood that made me go in search for a dogwood stave that would be OK to harvest. Any ideas?

thanks allot guys

Darren

Offline Dazv

Re: dog wood
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 06:42:04 am »
hi guys i should say I'm looking to make a minimum of 55lbs@27 
thanks

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 02:12:21 pm »
  I've made 3 bows from flowering dogwood. FORGET THE KNOTS if you can use under the bark for the back. Like DRUIDS bows. 55#'S NO PROBLEM. mine were 57, 59 and 63#s all were fast good cast bows. They were 60'62,64"s long. My limbs were 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 for the 63 pounder. But unlike DRUIDS bows I cut shelfs and center shoot my bows.
  All 3 of mine the backs looked likes DRUIDS BOWS but with shelfs (center shot.)I haven't built bows with that look for a long time. I like the simplicity looks of the bows back made this way. But VERY VERY few people want there bows to look this way. There all so use to the smooth look of glass bows and thats the way they like selfbows to look.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Dazv

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 04:32:17 pm »
Thanks allot do you know if it responds well to heat treating??? I think i can get just under 1 1/2, would you say is is better in tension or compression??? thanks allot