Author Topic: A bow for my daughter  (Read 4120 times)

Offline osage outlaw

A bow for my daughter
« on: December 03, 2011, 06:03:33 pm »
I finally put the finishing touches on this bow for my daughter.  She enjoys shooting and recently outgrew the small bow she has been using for the last couple of years.  This bow is made from a 10 year old piece of HHB that was given to me by a former employer who was a bowyer.  It is 51" long.  The limbs are 1 1/4" wide to about midlimb and then tapers to 1/2" pin nocks.  I had a terrible time tillering this bow.  I is a little heavy for her now, but by spring, it should be just right.  I didn't tiller it to a set weight/length, I just kept going until I thought it was about right for her.  I think it is around 20# @ 20".  She has some room to grow with it.  She wanted it dyed nave blue.  I didn't have any scraps of the HHB to test the color on so I tested it on a piece of hickory.  I mixed the rit dye until it was just right, but once I put it on the bow, it turned it into a shade of dark purple.  Luckily she liked the color.  I traded Wildman for some pink string and made a black leather grip for it.  This little thing is a snappy shooter.  With the string, it weighs 11.1 oz. 

I even had her help with it along the way.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Ifrit617

Re: A bow for my daughter
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 06:27:36 pm »
great little bow! I'm sure that she must love it.  ;D

Jon

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 06:28:03 pm »
Very, very nice there osage. A couple years and you may not want to take her huntin.....just might kick yer butt ::)
rich 

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 06:31:14 pm »
Excellent, my daughter shoots too and always wants to try out all the bows I make. Makes me laugh when her boyfiends can't draw the bows that she can :laugh: she's in her 30's now and want's to make her own sometime... too darned busy at the mo' always on the go.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 08:01:28 pm »
Right on Bro! Congratulations to your daughter. Good for you for helping with your bow, and great to know you are loving the sport. Way to go Dad.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 09:59:26 pm »
Outstanding bow! So nice to see. She will be a worthy shooting companion for sure. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 11:09:41 am »
When does dad get his new bow???? Nice job Clint.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 11:33:56 am »
Nice bow and what better reason to make one. Great to have her working on wood in the shop I'm sure. Special times together neither of you will forget.
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline lowell

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 11:56:33 am »
Very  nice ...I like kids bows!!! 

Looks like she likes it too!! 8)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 12:12:23 pm »
Congratulations to you and your daughter!  The world would be a better place if fathers did more with their children!  Well done.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 12:25:24 pm »
Nice bow Clint and a precious daughter you have. Good to see your work.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 12:56:59 pm »
I like the color too!  Nice job!  I recently made a bow for my 12 year old daughter.  We went shooting over Thanksgiving weekend and she had a smile from ear to ear.  She recently did some painting on her bow as it was not "finished" yet and ended up painting 3 smily faces on each limb! A total of 6.  Looks a little like this - top limb  ;D :P :laugh:  bottom limb -  ;D :P :laugh:
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 03:20:26 pm »
Thanks for all the nice comments guys.  I plan on taking both the kids stump shooting while looking for sheds this spring.  I think they will like that better than shooting at a target.  I let her make all the decisions about how she wanted the bow to look like.  I suggested dying the bow pink with black snake skins, but she wanted navy blue and no skins. 

Pearly, this year I have helped my son make his first bow, made one for the wife, and now daughter.  I owe one more person a bow and then it will be time to make one for me.  I want to have something nice for the Classic. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 12:14:37 am »
Nice color,congratulations on the family involvement  ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 01:09:45 am »
Awesome....her smile says it all,and im sure that even puts a bigger smile on your face :D