Author Topic: has any one here writen a book  (Read 2952 times)

Offline Blacktail

has any one here writen a book
« on: November 25, 2011, 08:24:40 pm »
i was wondering what it takes to write a book...i have an idea in mind but not sure on how publishing works...does any one know...john

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: has any one here writen a book
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 09:18:51 pm »
John, Ranger B(Jimmy Blackmon) wrote a book a few years ago. Maybe he'll chime in and give you his thoughts.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 09:27:33 pm »
John - I don't mean to be pessimistic but approximately 99.6% of all manuscripts written annually never see the light of day.  Getting a publisher is incredibly difficult, especially without an agent.  I was very fortunate.  JK Rawlins was turned down by every publisher in Great Britain before finally finding a publisher in the states for Harry Potter.  I would recommend you send manuscripts to all the publishers who publish the type of book you want to write.  Most all of them put the requirements on their website but most all large publishers will only accept manuscripts from agent.  They will not take direct submissions from writers.  You can consider self-publishing.  There are a lot of options there, but if you do go that route and then have aspirations for the future you could have hurt yourself.  Once you self-publish you get labeled.  Again, I don't want to be negative but I do want to be honest with you.  I wrote about the South and just happened to find a publisher that was looking for manuscripts on the South.   Best of luck my friend.  Honestly, writing a book is much much much easier than getting it published.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 02:24:52 am »
thanks jimmy,i was looking at self publishing BUT wasnt sure if that would be a good way to go...thanks so much for the info...its still up in the air...if you have any more info just shoot.....well maybe not shoot you are a good shot...LOL...john

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 04:17:38 pm »
I guess it's up to me to ask the question we are all thinking!

What's the book about?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 02:00:08 am »
I wrote one about medieval and Renaissance archery. I tried every publisher possible and fortunately forgot which ones so I went to the same ones over again. That helps because of job turnover. I kept trying without success for almost half a century. Finallty I decided that, as I was about to celebrate my 80th birthday, that if my last attempt didn't do it, that it was time to throw in the towell. Shortly before my birthday I got an email that said "We will publish your book". It will be out in March. 'With a Bended Bow' by Erik Roth.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 04:58:56 pm »
Yee-haw, Bo-toxo!  When it comes out I want to buy an autographed copy for my collection of autographed first editions!  Good chance I will even read it, *grin*.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stikchik

• Primitive Archer on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 05:55:11 pm »
bow-toxo, that is great news, I will look forward to reading this!

I am blacktails wife and I am not sure if he was planning on writing himself or was asking for me cause I do a lot of writing, not yet published book wise, but have articles. I was excited to read all the responses on here! Great advice everyone and keep it coming! I  will look forward to reading more of them! I know he will too :)

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 09:10:54 pm »
   Halfeye   wrote  one  JeffW

Offline Kpete

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 05:14:01 pm »
I have published some articles on a variety of subjects and I think Ranger B  hit the nail on the head-Keep submitting it.   I got lots of rejection notices but did publish eventually.   Also, it helps to ask why the publisher doesn't think it should be published-ask because you want to know why.  Maybe if the book is tweaked or redirected to fit the need of the publisher it might get a favorable look. 
If you have done all the work of putting the info together, or maybe as stickchik said, she has done all the  work-there is a way to present it a bit differently and fill the need for the publisher.
With magazine articles and with other info guides it was easier to find out what was wanted by the publisher first and then write the article to fill the publisher's need.
I have a friend who wrote a ScyFy novel.  Rejected!  He asked why and the publisher said it was too long and really had two story lines.......Bingo-he split it into two books and did so where the publisher said the break occurred and he published both.  Now has published a third with the same publisher.
It can be done.

Offline Kpete

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 02:15:18 am »
Blacktail,
I ran across an article in the January/February 2006 issue of Backwoods Home Magazine about self-publishing a book.  It advertizes a book on -you guessed it-publishing your own book.  Also has an ad for a publishing company that handles small printings.
You might find the Mag at your library or pm me and maybe I can send you a copy of the article.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 12:32:58 pm »
If I remember correctly Halfeye (Rich) wrote one and had it published. I beleive it to be on flyfishing.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 03:39:31 pm »
halfeye's book is on carving fishing lure's, they got it at lowe's, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 03:46:06 pm »
I had one of my students tell me lastnight that he had written a book and was going to try to get it published on line.  He said bookbaby.com will for $150 put your book on the web, and every time someone buys one you get all the money.  I don't know how true this is, but it might be a lead for someone who has the interest.  I'll ask my father-in-law too, he has had a couple of poetry books published.  Hope you can get some use outta this information, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)