Author Topic: Gives Rednecks a Bad Ring  (Read 3720 times)

Offline johnston

Gives Rednecks a Bad Ring
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:43:21 pm »
Been still hunting , stalking whatever you want to call it, a few thousand acres of public land six out of the last seven days. Have had a blast, poking at the land and locating spots to sit if it ever cools down for real. Went through some stuff today that was so thick I found deer skeletons standing upright where they tried to get to the other side. Thick. And 75 degrees. But I made it to the truck.

I quit drinking as a habit a couple years back but a 24 oz. Bud Lite sure sounded good so I pulled into the only convenience store for ten miles either way. Was a big ass 4 wheel drive kinda off to the side complete with a four wheeler and dog box. Big feller leaned up and a couple guys just standing around. As I went by he asked if I had any luck. Sure did, I said meaning that I didn't get snake bit or broke down and well he went to look in my truck. Oh, I didn't kill nothing just had a good time I said.

Got this 'un this morning he says turning back. No choice but to step over and have a look. Spike, maybe 70 pounds. Blood all crusted and hell the flies weren't much interested. Three hunnert Win Mag that's the ticket he started the spiel and I stopped him and asked When did you kill him? About eight o'clock. Public land? Why hell no I belong to the such and such, Nobody else hunting on a Tuesday Blah, Blah...Well it's four thirty when you gonna clean him? Waiting on my buddy to get off work, gonna meet me here. So do you want me to help..No no it's just easier with two people. I went on into the store.

And got a six pack.

Lane

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Re: Gives Rednecks a Bad Ring
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 11:28:37 pm »
That sure will be tasty.......NOT.  Yes that is what gives hunters a bad name.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:24:50 pm »
Lane ive been in your shoes, always loved to see them riding on  the hood of the truck too.

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 12:11:15 pm »
Yep, it sure does make  me want to distance my self from the modern type hunting. I hardly even will wear camo and especially not in town and will not wear hunter orange till I get to the hunting area. I just don't want to be associated with it and always want to do it better.       Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 01:02:23 am »
 :'( it sucks that some bring shame to something so sacred  :(
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 02:53:06 am »
Yes Sir,

Glad you had good luck johnston, and yet sorry you had a Deliverance moment.

I like the way soy said it. That about coveres the spiritual side of it for me.

Plus I have lost count of how many decent Non hunting folks that I've run across that have been
turned off of eating wild game because of improperly killed, handled and processed game
animals. Birds shouldn't taste Foul, Deer shouldn't taste like Spoiled Cabbage, and Fish
shouldn't taste Fishy!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 04:10:17 pm »
To balance out that nasty scene, here's one that I got to be involved in. 

I was at a public picnic ground here in the Black Hills coupla years ago.  I set up and was scraping osage with a small campfire eatin' up the chips and cooking lunch.  A young kid in Air Force camo BDU's came running outa the woods asking me if I had cell phone reception.  He was wild eyed as Ned Beatty in Deliverance.  I said no, what's wrong?!?!  He said he was shooting a borrowed compound in a borrowed tree stand and hit a big doe.  He needed to call his buddy and get help tracking her before she got away.  I asked how long had it been, he said no more than 10 minutes.  I gave him a cup of campfire coffee to settle him down and said I'd help track.  When we got to the stand, I could see the spot she jumped from, ground showed parallel scrapes where her hind legs did a Camaro-style burn out.  I looked up the trail and told the kid to start walking slow and looking down (no need to track, I could see her!). 

When he found her 30 yds away he lost it.  He sat there with her head cradled on his lap with tears streaking his face saying she was so beautiful.  He looked up at me and said, "I killed her."   This was the point that would turn him against hunting or confirm his place as a respectful and honorable hunter.  I showed him the entrance and exit wounds, explained how a sharp broadhead doesn't cause much pain, just fast bleed-out, collapsed lungs, quick death.  He was good with it.

We mentor kids, we insert our ethics into every hunting story we tell, we exert positive influence on everyone we hunt with, we volunteer with teaching hunter safety and ethics classes, and we always expect more of ourselves whether someone is watching or not.  What else can we really do?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 04:52:50 pm »
Yeah rifle season started yesterday and while walking out to my normaly empty hunting location I counted 8 orange shooters up in the trees. Well I don't really like sharing so it kinda bumped me back a litte farther and after crossing a small creek I came to an area almost entirely populated by thorns and honey locoust than that gradualy turned into cedar and osage for really quiet woods that was pretty much a deer safe haven.  :)

So I scouted around a bit and as I was coming back to my decided spot, I heard a shot and then 3 more in rapid sucession I instinctivly went on my knee and started looking around, and then I stood back up wondering what these guys(including a kid) had learned about woodsman ship taking their one day of work to shoot a few deer and then just drive off. Well shortly after the shots were taking of course the deer get a little nervous and as I turn back around to head to my hunting spot, which was less than 20 yards away, I spooked a doe and off it went in to the brush. You really can't see more than 20 yards into the brish anyway let alone make a shot so this is really perfect short bow territory. If you are gonna buy somthing wrapped in plastic (high power huinting rifle/compund) and eat meat why not just buy a steak? The path of the primitive arch is one less travled but certanaitly the most sceneic route.
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 02:09:37 pm »
Certainly the most scenic of routes, brother-mine. Also the most humbling, the most challenging, the most rewarding, and the one where the participants are the most giving/sharing. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 09:19:01 pm »
Well said JW

Offline bareshaft12

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 02:21:32 am »
a man to that