Author Topic: Elk Hunting  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

Elk Hunting
« on: November 29, 2011, 10:47:30 am »
Hope Sadie doesn't mind a little tease! ::)  Have two cow elk tags and am going to start getting serious about putting some meat in the freezer.  Because there is an elk/cattle/buffalo problem with Brucellosis the season has been extended until the middle of December.  The elk have been chased back and forth all over the country and are as wild as I have ever seen.  They are in large herds which makes them hard to get close to.  This country has some rugged terrain and when the snow drifts up its hard to get around in.  Made a very long (two hour) sneak on a herd bedded in the timber the other day only to have a bull and four cows and calves bust me from the side the last moment.  Took me an hour and a half to get back the the ATV.  Yesterday I made another effort on a smaller herd (125 head) only to have the wind shift and had to watch them run all the way over the divide.  Did fool a coyote on that sneak as he trotted right up to the tree I was hiding behind before he smelled me!  Getting an elk out is a problem if you shoot it in some rough country.  I call them "skillet elk" as you just have to eat them where they lay.  Sure wish I could get some of my tree stand friends to be here with me to see what winter elk hunting is all about!  A/Ho Joe
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:55:18 am by Pappy »
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Elk Hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 10:53:53 am »
Good luck with that Joe,hope you kill a big one.I bet it is a problem getting them out. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 10:58:22 am »
By the way I changed the title,I didn't figure there was a late Elf season out there. ;) ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 01:08:27 pm »
I could just see Joe coming in with Ernie Keebler tied cross the back of the ATV. Ron ;D ;D
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 03:52:09 pm »
I could just see Joe coming in with Ernie Keebler tied cross the back of the ATV. Ron ;D ;D
Now that there is funny ;D

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 11:41:54 pm »
Spent the day in the mountains chasing elk around.  Hate to admit it, but when a hunter sees between 5 and 6 hundred elk in one day and doesn't score he must not be much of a hunter.  Had some long shot opportunities, but only where it would have been a major problem getting the meat out.  Saw lots of wolf tracks which means any elk on the ground can not be left over night.  Almost had one herd surrounded when they sensed me and ghosted over the hill.  The other real problem is getting a shot at a lone elk when they are bunched up ready for flight.  Sorry not to be able to post pictures so you could see my problem.  In today's paper the Game and Fish are begging people to buy late elk tags in the area between Cheyenne and Laramie.  Maybe I can send someone a couple of pictures and they can post them on the PA site.  Was a great day hunting!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline cracker

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:39:19 am »
Hello Joe I wish you luck on you're elk hunt. If anyone can do it it's you. Looking forward to pics of a nice fat cow on the dirt. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 09:39:29 am »
Good luck Joe,be careful out there. :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 10:08:42 am »
Best of luck Joe! I'm sure any of us would love the scenery you're enjoying...I'm sure it's physically challenging!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...