Author Topic: knot ?  (Read 1537 times)

Offline bubby

knot ?
« on: November 30, 2011, 03:52:02 pm »
I've been working on this bow from measyrements of an Ishi bow, i didn't notice this knot till i was cleaning up the back, it's full quartersawn ash and it only shows on the back, and i was wondering if you think sinew will be enough protection
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline crooketarrow

Re: knot ?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 04:41:37 pm »
 YES
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 04:46:17 pm »
Warm it up and put the super glue to it. The warmth will thin the glue and force it down in. The tiniest of knots can kill you on boards, Im sure you already knew that Bubby.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 04:52:04 pm »
thank's for the response's , PD i was just trying to decide if sinew would protect it, and you are right, I know a little about knot's and failure ;D, Bub

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 05:18:36 pm »
I think rawhide would be a better mate for ash, but either would work I bet. I have a pile of white ash staves that are going to be sawn into boards this spring when I can get my bandsaw outside to make a big mess. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 06:16:32 pm »
yeah this is some wood i got from halfeye, was originally thinking rawhide, but thought sinew would offer better protection with that small knot, Bub

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 06:40:18 pm »
Rawhide is TOUGH stuff. I have an old osage bow that popped a nasty life ending splinter. I found some slighty thicker rawhide and glued it down. That splinter hasnt even budged and the bow has been shot a ton since. It doesnt add draw weight or reflex of course.

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 06:49:03 pm »
Hey bubby,

I've built a few ash board bows and this type of thing seems to be common with ash. Never caused any problems for me at all.

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 06:59:08 pm »
Knots on boards are deadly. Sinew is too much work for a board. Rawhide may work but again is it worth the work? Not for me. I'd take it back and get a straight grained knot free board. I've probably made around 50 or more board bows. One broke. It was hickory with a tiny knot that I did not see when picking it out. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!