Author Topic: are river mussles edible?  (Read 1524 times)

Offline recurve shooter

are river mussles edible?
« on: November 29, 2011, 08:44:27 pm »
I have no idea what the proper name for them is. I live in southeast louisiana, and I see a lot of them in the rivers and brackish water lakes. They look tasty, but I'm not sure
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: are river mussles edible?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:01:37 pm »
You,,could,,, try one. ::) :-\ I've ate them at Hooter's ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 09:37:34 pm »
I saw some swanky chef cooking them on a cooking show the other day.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 09:50:54 pm »
Contact the DNR and ask them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 01:43:58 am »
I ate the black mussles once when I was a kid.  Boiled em up.  Tasted like mussles...and sand.  I'd probably try to keep them alive in clean fresh water for a few days if I had a choice, but I don't know any rivers up here that I'd eat anything out of anymore.  Pat's right, check w/ DNR.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 01:54:03 am »
We used to eat them when I was a kid...
We dug 'em, shucked 'em and cleaned 'em.
Then fried them like some folks fry oysters, in seasoned corn meal.
They were pretty good as I remember.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 02:07:55 am »
Yes they are,if you have a prestein river,I know there mostly gone,you can eat them raw,much better if you cook them,boil or fry,,I prefer fried. Here in Florida,not far from you,we have "seasons",certain times of the year you cant take certain ones,I would check the laws first  :)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 03:16:58 am »
     Like they said, check with the state first, but I would be sure to cook them.  Not much that isn't polluted anymore.  We have them here in Fl., never ate them, but they make great fish bait! ;)  Can't see why you can't eat them.  Heck you should have a recipe for them! ;) there isn't much in La. that there isn't a recipe for! ;) ;D  Put them in some  Ol Bay, or Zatterain's seasoning, and water, chicken broth, diced potatoes, onions, stewed tomatoes, with garlic,  a dash or two of Basil, a couple of bay leaves, salt and pepper, and cajun seasoning, garlic and onion powder, and fresh lime or lemon juice to taste, ( I prefer lime )  and wallah a tasty treat, on a cool evening.  Might even throw in a couple catfish filet's. You might also try putting them in some tomato sauce, with just enough sugar to take away the acidic bite, and some basil, fresh diced garlic, onions,bay leaves, some old bay, or cajun seasoning, or just do the cajun shrimp style, with cajun, or old bay, and lots of fresh chopped garlic, and real butter, salt and pepper.  Dang, I am hungry now. Yeah, if you can put them in some fresh water to purge them a bit, maybe they can rid themselves of the sand, but you might need to keep them aerated to keep them from dying.  But if they are like little necks, you can peal off the outer skin of the snorkel like appendage.  I am being polite about that description. ::) ;D and that should get rid of most of the grit.
     anywho, I have had the notion to try them when I was a kid, but just used them for bait.  EVERYTHING loved them! ;)

Wayne
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 04:01:25 am by stickbender »

Offline Gordon

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 03:44:33 am »
I've tried them a couple of times and they always tasted like mud.
Gordon