Author Topic: Arrow Wood ?  (Read 5437 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Arrow Wood ?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 10:35:34 am »
  Yea that stave is going to wait but I have 2  68" hickory's that I shoot and they are begging for some shafts. I'm down to 4 hunting shafts now in the middle of hunting season. Made 6 and busted 2 points out of them. I have some cedar shafting and If I have to I can keep myself going until season ends Jan 1. Seen an interesting build along on cane last night. Looks time consuming but am seriously considering cutting some cane so it can be drying. Saved my busted arrows so I can reuse my feathers and  the sinew as well. I believe in reusing stuff when I can. I bet not to many indians would bust a shaft and not pick it up and try to salvage what they could. Looks like with cane most of the time you just replace the foreshaft and point and keep going.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Arrow Wood ?
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 01:55:32 pm »
  I think for shoot arrows at least in my area Dog wood is the hardset stay straightest shoot arrow wood there is. I made arrows of all hard woods in my area. All hard woods here make fine arrows.   
   As like Pat I never spine or weight my arrows. I can looks and be close on spine ofcorse all my bow are center shot. This gives me a wide range of arrow spine that one of my bows will shoot. You'd really have to go through a lot of shoot arrows to make a matched set of shoot arrows (spine and weight). I make and shoot lots of bows so if it dos'nt shoot well in the bow I'm shooting at the time. I just but it up untill I get a bow for it.
  As for dowl arrows I made many dozzen's of both. Sitka is heavyer and harder and stays strighter longer than POC. Birch is one of the best arrowwoods but a little heavy unless your shooting a heavyer bow. I'd have to say HICKORYS also not bad it you like heavy.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING