Author Topic: What's in Your Stash?  (Read 18382 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
What's in Your Stash?
« on: November 26, 2011, 09:11:39 am »
Just been tidying the garage where my stuff is and putting up another couple of shelves for timber.
Sorted out my stash, much of it is just stuff I've picked up and not the best quality, but here's what I got.
Yew
Laburnum
Cherry
Hornbeam
Hazel
Ash
Short billet of Maple
and a nice slat of Boo.
I'm managed to encroach onto area where Mrs Cat keeps her gardening tools... shhhhhh >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: What's in Your Stash?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 09:30:19 am »
Only missing one ingredient Del! I will give you a hint............Its yellow?.....nice assortment of future shaving you have!

I have the following drying or dry:

white ash, American elm, red mulberry, shagbark hickory, hackberry, black locust, and osage. HHB is coming in a month or so. My aunt has some premium HHB growing in her pastured wood lot. Big, straight, clean stuff. Best I have seen yet.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 09:49:35 am »
Only missing one ingredient Del! I will give you a hint............Its yellow?.....nice assortment of future shaving you have!

I have the following drying or dry:

white ash, American elm, red mulberry, shagbark hickory, hackberry, black locust, and osage. HHB is coming in a month or so. My aunt has some premium HHB growing in her pastured wood lot. Big, straight, clean stuff. Best I have seen yet.
Custard?
Banana?
Oh... yeah... you've got Osage over there.
Del

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 10:31:32 am »
A LOT!!! >:D.....and that's not all of it either

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 10:33:57 am »
Show off.....................why dont you toss a pic of a new baby girl in there to rub it in a little more Chris..............."Look at all MY wood and MY new baby girl"
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline johnston

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 11:15:47 am »
Hickory, pecan,cherry, post oak, sparkle berry, cherry laurel, american hornbeam and crepe myrtle. BUT...this is my first
time cutting bow wood and most of it is small. Not to worry. Have hooked up with a supplier.

Lane

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 11:24:46 am »
Sparkle Berry...? ???
Are you sure you didn't just make that one up? Or is it something given to you by your fairy godmother? ::) 
Del

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 12:11:52 pm »
Show off.....................why dont you toss a pic of a new baby girl in there to rub it in a little more Chris..............."Look at all MY wood and MY new baby girl"
You forgot his new shop/house...wow what a pile o wood!
Me I have hhb,hickory, white ash,black cherry,walnut, red elm, 2 billits of osage,and hackberry
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 12:21:41 pm »
I was thinking you were getting a bit personal there Del until I read a little farther.  ::)
  My wood stash is extensive. A little of this, a little of that and even some of those.
     Off the top of my head I have osage, locust, ash, elm, ERC, hickory, maple(s), yew, juniper(western), HHB, hornbeam, hackberry...and I'm sure others. That is my bow wood. For arrows I have sourwood, hill cane, river cane, switch cane, bambusa, Tonkin cane, viburnum(s), cherry, ramin dowels and probably others too.
  If anyone need a nice well seasoned stave, come on over and I'll set you up. In store deals only!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 12:30:31 pm »
Osage, hickory, yew, mulberry, ERC and  dogwood.

Here are a few pictures of part of it, staves then billets, actually a drop in the bucket of my total stash.

OOPS! forgot bamboo, this is now dry, cut into slats and planed smooth on the belly.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 12:34:46 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 01:23:52 pm »
Yew
Osage
Juniper
Vine Maple
Cascara
Service Berry
Guava
Laburnum
Hickory
Ironwood
Hack berry
Hazel
Crepe Myrtle
Dog Wood
ERC
Laural
Syringa
Wild Rose
Ocean Spray
Buck Thorn
Mountain Ash
Cherry
And a selection of boards like purple heart, Babinga, Brazilian Cherry,Maple and bamboo slats.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 02:38:36 pm by Keenan »

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 01:28:14 pm »
Oooooh, I wish I hadn't started this thread now... I'm all jellyous :laugh:
Del

Offline JonW

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 01:36:29 pm »
Well I have some yellow stuff some, some more yellow stuff and a couple pieces of yellow stuff. I guess all I really have is yellow stuff :P Wait, I found a piece of Hickory too!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 01:39:36 pm »
I have:
4 bamboo slats raw
one piece of hard birch that will get two bows,
4 pieces of roughly 1/4 X1.25 or bigger Hickory, all sap wood.  I plan to glue them togeather into a recurve.  Possibly take down.
1 piece of Lyptus that will be my taper jig for bamboo sandwich type bows or Glass bows (I hate working with glass).

Then on another wall I have 3 roughly 5"X8"X4'-5' flitches of yellow pear.
two 8" dia lX 2' logs of linden.  A 4' by 5" by 10" flitch of Linden (Bass wood)~ I'm a carver.
Several flitches from logs of Cherry, Walnut, Syccamore.
A couple cants of Oak (White?). 
Two large lile 5"X6" (or bigger) by 8' cants of hard maple with pretty straight grain.  Thos can be resawn into several bow blanks if you trust maple.  I'm not certain I do or if I do it will be the core on a sandwich bow.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 01:47:31 pm »
I have osage, hickory, juniper, crepe myrtle and honey locust in staves; osage, ipe, maple, birch and bamboo in boards or backings.  However, the lions share of my wood is yellow (and crooked) too.

George
St Paul, TX