Author Topic: Otzi arrow buildalong  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Otzi arrow buildalong
« on: November 25, 2011, 05:30:05 am »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Otzi arrow buildalong
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:58:17 am »
Very cool Video.   Its so simple even a cave man can do it!!!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dog.breath

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 12:33:29 pm »
Wow, that's really cool!

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 02:01:15 pm »
very cool to see how otzi's arrows were constructed.
and how to get the tar outta birch bark. gonna hafta try that.
have attempted to use pine pitch glue for fletching  with varying levels of success.
not really my preferred method.
wonder how much weight that adds to the rear of the arrow with that much pitch one the shaft?
thanks for sharing the link. he refers to a third that i assume has not been finished yet
look forward to that one too.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 06:28:40 pm »
Yea, I think he's going to shoot something alive with it.  I guess the better way to state that would be to "hunt with it"  ::)  He shot the pumpkin with the arrow and it looks like it worked well.  It might not be a dense or heavy solution.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 08:04:56 pm »
Awesome video!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 12:35:12 am »
Very Interesting, thanks for the link.

My only comment is that I doubt thayt Otzi and his people cut their fletches from the quill instead I would have thought that they stripped them off the quill. Personal view only no proof either way.

Craig.

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 02:11:46 am »
thats just to cool. thanks for sharing.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline portlandfire

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 02:25:00 am »
  Had the pleasure of running into Shawn, who made the videos, in the woods today.  A hunting partner are brought my attention to first video; Loved it!  Less than a week later, Gordon and I ended up hunting the same parcel of land as Shawn.  Beautiful work, and a nice young man.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 12:43:00 am »
Nice videos! Only comment is that I wonder if Otzi would have waited for the shafts to harden and dry over a years time. There are ways of fire straightening the shafts over some coals. They would have left the bark on while doing this. After you just scrape the bark off.

Overall one fine video! Especially on making birch bark glue. Wow! The flint heads where really authentic too.

Tiller
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 02:44:25 pm »
Great videos! I agree Shawn is a really nice guy, had the pleasure of meeting him at Glass Buttes this last year and he makes some awsome bows, arrows and stone points. I watched his other video of Emery Coons spalling Dacite at the knap in and noticed I am in that video, that was a great time cant wait till next year!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 08:55:56 pm »
Nice videos! Only comment is that I wonder if Otzi would have waited for the shafts to harden and dry over a years time. There are ways of fire straightening the shafts over some coals. They would have left the bark on while doing this. After you just scrape the bark off.

Overall one fine video! Especially on making birch bark glue. Wow! The flint heads where really authentic too.

Tiller

I doubt it.  Just because they didn't have Ipads didn't mean they were idiots.  It was in their interest to be as efficient as possible.  I'd imagine that they would be fairly mobile also.  That isn't so conducive to setting a batch of shafts up to dry for a year.  I'm guessing they tended to flame dry them.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 12:01:56 am »
Way cool!  I'm really liking that birch bark glue.  Especially, since I collected a bunch of it during my deer hunting trip in northern Michigan.  Also pretty neat was his taking of the goose!  Looking forward to #3.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 02:32:04 am »
Way cool!  I'm really liking that birch bark glue.  Especially, since I collected a bunch of it during my deer hunting trip in northern Michigan.  Also pretty neat was his taking of the goose!  Looking forward to #3.

I know!  I think that goose bit might have been the best.  I almost wonder if it wasn't staged!

Offline portlandfire

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 04:03:02 am »
  Goose was legit!!  and impressive to boot.  I thought the overall quality of the video was exceptional; editing and audio all great.