Author Topic: Need a good meat grinder.  (Read 3893 times)

Offline R H Clark

Need a good meat grinder.
« on: November 22, 2011, 01:39:10 pm »
Any recomendation of a good meat grinder would be appreciated.I would rather have manual but don't want junk and really don't want to spend a bunch either.I bought one at a flea market once but it didn't work very well.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Need a good meat grinder.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 01:45:09 pm »
Buy a good,  used Hobart and you will never buy another, or stall it. They weight a ton obviously so shipping will sting a little.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 03:01:53 pm »
Good freind of mine got the one from cabelas. The big one also hooks up to the meat mixer.He loves it. Ground up a couple moose and numerous deer. Something to think about.
Hobart is the best but not cheap ifin you can find one for the right price go for it.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 03:47:57 pm »
I agree with that, the best grinders I've ever used were Hobart commercial grinders and I've had 2 friends that had them, both of which I used.  One of the guys had a brother who was a butcher and got the Hobart after his brother died.  I'm convinced I could've stuck the leg bone of a deer hind quarter into the throat of that grinder and it would have sucked it in and ground it up with no problem.  It was scary powerful, and about the size of  2 big microwaves on top of each other.  It was impossible to feed meat as fast as it could grind it.  I also have experience with a Cabelas grinder, and the one we had was excellent.  Seven of us went together and each kicked in $70 to buy one of their better ones 15 years ago, but I had to leave that when I left Nebraska.  I'm a little embarrassed to say I now use an $89 (on sale) Northern Tool grinder and surprisingly it is excellent, though slow as it's pretty small.  I've done probably 10 deer and 20 or so hogs with it so far.  I had an LEM grinder that I absolutely hated.  It must've been a lemon as I like the rest of their stuff.

Whatever grinder you get, make sure it has a reverse button.  Nothing's worse than getting a grinder jammed and then have to take it apart to clean it out.  I also feel safer with a reverse button.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 04:43:52 pm »
George your Hobart description is dead on pal! We dont chunk up our grind meat, we just grind it. Dad was a full time butcher for 15 years prior to his 25 years with the State. He has connections for all kinds of good, used commercial stuff. I am very fortunate. You shoudl ssee our 100# hydro stuffer go! WHEW!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 05:43:00 pm »
Cool PD, I've never even seen a big stuffer like that!  What I need is an affordable meat mixer for when I make sausage.  When I grind up pork for sausage I'd like to use a big mixer to distribute the spices.  The ones I can afford are only for about 15lbs of meat.  The ones that'll do 30-50lbs of meat cost more than I'm willing to spend.   :(

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 07:09:11 pm »
Dad has two styles. He still insists on toughing out the finger numbing cold to hand mix it. He likes to smash the grind together as he mixes. He is a German sausage maker from the "old country" school of thought. We never do more than 30# batches by hand. The 100# stuffer will fill a casing wayyyyyy faster than two guys could coil it. I bet it would go 1 mph full out. Its all relative to the water pressure your home pressure tank builds up.

Sorry to steal the thread.......

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 07:21:10 pm »
O man, finger numbing cold is right!!!  I hate mixing by hand but so far that's the only way I have to do it.  It makes my shoulders ache to think about.  I don't do much sausage in casings anymore.  When I first got the grinder (and first had access to wild hog meat) I stuffed lots of sausage.  I've been doing all bulk raw sausage for the last couple years.  It has really made my venison go further since I'm not putting any of that into sausage anymore.  I had trouble keeping up with my little grinder twisting and coiling the sausage when my wife was feeding the grinder.  Can't imagine what you're describing.

OK, I'll stop hijacking too.  Sorry.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 11:33:26 am »
They make some seriously high powered grinders now that don't cost much. Ebay is covered up with them. I bought one that is about 1hp used on ebay, I think I paid about $50 for it. It is noisy but grinds everything I put in it very well.

Of course everyone wants a Hobart but lucking into a reasonable deal on one is pretty rare.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 12:10:46 pm »
PD & George meat mixers are called kids. I was taught by a old school german sausage maker. the only way to mix is by hand.His son and me have been making it together for 23years.The only thing I can't do is taste the raw meat  :o    I gotta fry
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 12:14:15 pm »
Amen Leroy! No raw stuff for me either. Dad eats it like candy.....nasty.....

Offline Birdman

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 11:52:30 pm »
Check out Great Northern Tool Catalog.  I got my manual grinder from them.  Low cost.  Has a grove on the wheel for hooking up to an electric motor if you want.  My son and I have ground up trimmings from at least 20 deer on this little bad boy grinder.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 10:46:40 pm »
The one I use is a manual one from tractor supply, but has the pulley for a belt also.  Some creative welding and a small platform and it can be hung on the side of the turning lathe and run off that motor.  In high gear it can chew up 600 pounds an hour.  Not too shabby.