Author Topic: Something a little different  (Read 4164 times)

Offline PeteC

Something a little different
« on: November 25, 2011, 07:36:13 pm »
A few weeks ago I was brought a unusual request to build a set of osage limbs for a "take-down" longbow. The fellers' uncle had bought it at an estate sale in Kansas,braced it,and it blew into quite a few pieces,but, he wanted to shoot this thing.The riser is cast aluminum,about 15 1/2" long,each limb is about 36"and insert into the riser 3"on each end. One inch wide at the handle,tapering evenly to 1/2" tips.The total lenght is 80 9/16" long and came out to 45#@28".I had no idea how to tiller it,so went for a circular tiller.Before starting,I had straightened these billets as close as possible(for east Texas osage) ,and after tiller,each limb set 1/4".The billets were probably at least 4 years old .I looked around a little to try to date,and identify this contraption,but had no success.I know one thing,there is a sure enough good reason why you don't see this design around anymore. ;D If any of y'all know anything about this thing please let me know. God Bless

There will be one pic of a limb that came with it. Notice the large amount of set in the limb. The little osage arrow rest I added just for shooting in the bow,and I have'nt a clue what the original rest looked like.        At mid-limb the thickness is still 5/8" thick.(If this was a one piece bow 72" long,it would probably still make  70 pounder)
Also,this thing was so long I had to move my tiller board to a place where it would fit.
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Something a little different
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 07:40:07 pm »
Now thats different. Great job getting that to work!

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 08:05:36 pm »
Without the bows dimensions I would have thought you were a little 'vertically challenged!'
Crazy bow and crazy set  in that limb :o - i'm not surprised the other one blew!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 09:07:42 pm »
Way to go! That is one wild looking deal there.can't wait to hear if anybody has any info.
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline johnston

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 09:12:39 pm »
Looks like it was brought to the right feller ;) ;D

Lane

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 09:31:59 pm »
 Good job Pete. That is definitely something different for sure.  Never seen one like that.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 09:33:32 pm »
Now that's what I call a loooooong bow.  That riser is very interesting.  Beautiful tiller as always.  Looks like a fun project, great job.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 10:32:45 pm »
Now thats a funky bow. Cool repair Pete. I bet those long hedge limbs will be intact for decades.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 10:41:29 pm »
Thanks fella's. I was hoping PatB would chime in,he'll probably know what it is. God Bless

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 10:43:41 pm »
Whoa Pete I think you need to install a little blinking red light on the top limb for low flying aircraft. ;D  Good job fitting that beast together. and tiller does look good
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 10:07:12 am »
Thanks Eric. You know,it does kind of give you the willys holdin' this thing when a dark cloud is anywhere around. ;)  God Bless

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 12:31:08 pm »
Boy Pete, that's a piece of archery history. I've never seen a handle just like that but throughout history different versions of cast metal handles were tried. Some were brass or bronze, some aluminum and some steel. Probably dates to the 40's but that's just a guess.
  You did a great job of bringing that "bow" back to live with the new set of limbs. Tiller looks very good too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 12:35:20 pm »
i am with the rest of them---WOW!.  does that handle design have any negative effects when shooting?  i am encouraged to try something like this.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 01:16:28 pm »
great job on that!!! Has the Osage been damaged by the handle at all?

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 05:33:45 pm »
Thanks y'all. Pat,that was my guess as well.It would more than likely be pre-war,just due to the fact all aluminum would have been going into the war effort,but like you said,it's just a guess. Luke and Dazv, the handle is rough on the inserts,(and I discussed this with the owner),but since they don't show,it will probably not be a problem.I built them slightly larger than the originals,so there is not quite as much wobble. Considering the amount of mass in the limbs,it shoots pretty good.The owner and I shot some cane arrows I have that weigh slightly over 450grs.,and they have good cast for arrows a little more than 10 grs/#. The first obvious factor is its lenght,then it would be weight.I wish I had weighed it,for it is very heavy for a target weight bow. Thanks again,and I'd sure like to know the details about it. God Bless