Author Topic: arrow speed ?  (Read 1912 times)

Offline SA

arrow speed ?
« on: November 25, 2011, 06:46:41 pm »
i just got me a new toy (chrony) :) and fired a few of my 40# to 45# bows with 450 to 475 grain arrows , my average fps was around 130 is that good  for that draw wieght ? maybe someday i can hit the 160 170 mark .
Shawn Acker

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: arrow speed ?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 09:15:29 pm »
For a selfbow you add 100 to the draw weight for the average speed.
  Years ago I shot one of my selfbows through a chrony and was so disappointed in the numbers I never did it again.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Scowler

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 09:40:53 pm »
Congrats on your new chronograph.  Knowing how fast your bow is with a variety of arrows is a good thing...but not the only thing.  Accuracy and arrow weight are, in my opinion, more important.   

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 07:55:26 am »
  Some people are into the speed thing so when wanted I shot the bow on a chronograph. 130'Ss Not that bad at all. I just got a while back 158 with a 55 pound bow osage bow. It depending on the stave ofcorse. I once with a 67 pound osage bow hit 181 with a flibed tips sinew (64") backed  with copperhead skins covering it. SINEW really adds the speed as well as the flibed tips. I think it was 535 grain dowl arrow.
 Pats ratio is about right. I get maybe a little higher.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline SA

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 07:04:28 pm »
thanks for the input guys that give me a pretty good guideline to go by.

Shawn Acker

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 11:05:42 pm »
 :laugh:After shooting glass backed bows for years this brought a smile and some laughter to my face.

I've been here for a while but haven't actively participated to any degree.  I've owned and shot wood bows but have not made one Yet!

Should I be fortunate enough to to get one finished that comes out around 50-55# at my 29" draw and it will hit the chrono at 150, I'll be a happy camper.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 09:37:43 am »
Pat's ratio is about right,I always used 3 times the draw weight and will come out about the same. :) your 130 sounds fine to me. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 11:23:42 am »
Too slow! You need a much faster bow friend! :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 05:09:11 pm »
Shoot your bow any enjoy the thing. Those numbers aren't to bad. I wouldn't read too much into a lot of the higher numbers you see posted. A lot of dues to be paid before you reach that level.

Offline bbrooks5

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 12:36:56 am »
130fps with a stable arrow is better than 150fps unstable. Arrow stability is what induces penetration. If your arrows are flying true---straighting out quick you should be good to go. You can shoot your arrows thru paper tape to an open frame @ 6 yards
Your arrow is spine correct(and nock point correct) if the point and the nock end go thru the same hole. I personal prefer a string follow bow. "the old saying speed kills" can apply w/self bows(it kills the accuracy) Bob