Author Topic: Thanksgiving Bow (finished)!  (Read 19713 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Thanksgiving Bow (finished)!
« on: November 25, 2011, 06:13:31 pm »
I was moving some bow wood around yesterday and when I picked up a 52" osage billet for some reason I couldn't put it back down.  It is the bottom split from a set I split out awhile ago.  After cleaning up the back it is 1" wide the entire length.  Started with a little bend and twist to it (seems to be par for my osage).  It also has a bad check on one tip.  I'm planning on sinew backing it to stabilize that.  The stave I'm working on is just to the left of the ruler.   I  believe the other 3 are now bows in other stables...I like that.

I thinned it to where it was just beginning to bend and then straightened it up and flipped one of the tips to try and match the other end.  I should have cut a new caul with much less bend to it but I was lazy and just flipped it.  It took 4 heatings to get it the way I wanted.  If we don't go out and do something tonight I think I'll give it a couple courses of sinew.    Here's how it looks now:

I'm hoping to get better tiller and a little less stack than my current short bow of the same length.  I'd also like it to be a little lower draw weight too, more like 55lbs.  I guess time'll tell.  I have so many other staves I need to work, why did this one call to me???

George
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 09:57:50 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Thanksgiving Bow
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 06:27:53 pm »
Nicew rings on that sliver George. Should make a tough bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 07:20:48 pm »
Good luck George! looks good at this point.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 07:27:11 pm »
I thought I was the only one that happened to, LOL I think all of my best bows started out that way. I would be cleaning up in the shop and start moving staves around and the next thing I know two or three hours went by and I can't wait to get back to it.

Good luck with this one can't wait to see her done.
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 09:12:57 pm »
Looks to straight  ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 09:26:47 pm »
 You did well listening to that voice calling you George.   I think we all hear those same voices,  thats why we all have about a dozen bows half done! ::) Looks like a dandy.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 10:18:33 pm »
Looks to straight  ;D
Ah, the wonders of the heat gun... :) 

Thanks guys, glad I'm not the only one to be influenced by wood like that.  I had hoped to be applying sinew by now, but I'm watching old movies with my lovely bride.  Time spent with her is well spent. 

George
St Paul, TX

Offline PeteC

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 10:45:26 pm »
Were you able to remove the check George? If so,you sure don't need to back that beauty. ;)  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline johnston

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 10:55:34 pm »
I always enjoy your work George. After you posted some of your Dad's art it occurred to me that you
came by your talent honestly.

Lane

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 12:02:26 am »
No Pete, that check is a through and through and almost 6" long.  It really opened up when I heated and flipped that tip but didn't go any further, thank goodness.  The other tip has some minor checks that I could cover with an overlay. 

Thanks Lane, that was a great compliment.  My Dad continues to amaze me for sure.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 01:27:55 am »
I got the sinew on this bow tonight.  I  put 1 course on the tips, 2 over  the rest of the bow.

I brought the bow in the house to dry.  The cat was very interested in it.

Now the waiting begins.  This will be the narrowest bow I've ever made.  It is 7/8" wide most of it's length.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 02:51:15 am »
I hate the wait!  ;)  You'll be surprised how much umpth this little bow will have.  It don't take much osage to make a good bow!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 06:58:00 am »
Yea me too, but these days it goes faster than it used to.  As soon as I take off the wrap I'll write the date (3 weeks from now) on the belly of the bow (where it'll get removed in tillering) so I remember when the wait is over.  Otherwise I'd forget that too. ::)  I could just plan on starting the tillering on Christmas day?  I did that years ago on another osage sinew backed bow and was so excited once I had it shooting that I rushed to take it hunting the last day of deer season that year.  Got a nice little buck with it on its first hunt.  Great memory.   I'm looking forward to tillering this one just to see how the limbs end up, being so narrow.  Hope to do a better job than my last one, got that one bending too much in the center.  I'm still new to the bendy-handles.  I suppose I should have pulled some reflex in this bow, but I figured I was pushing the draw length (going for a full 28") on it as it was.  Maybe the sinew will pull in a little reflex as it dries?

I had quite a bit of hide glue left so I put it in the freezer that's in the shop.  Has anybody had any luck freezing hide glue and then heating it back up to use later?

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 07:14:54 am »
Looks like you have a good start,can't wait to see the finished product. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dwardo

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 06:06:48 pm »
Make sure its well out of the cats reach! Gonna be nice to see this complete.