Author Topic: ribs???  (Read 3878 times)

Offline Dazv

ribs???
« on: November 25, 2011, 10:57:39 am »

hi guys

just a quick one when shooting for heart and lungs of a deer and you just hoping that your broadhead hits between the ribs??? What happens when you take a shot and the point hits a rib dead on???

thank so much

Darren

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: ribs???
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 11:08:54 am »
Deer ribs are thin enough that if you hit it dead center, or even off to one side with a sharp broadhead and a relatively heavy arrow you should get plenty of penetration to kill the deer. You only need about 6" to 8" of penetration to get both lungs anyway. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 11:30:35 am »
My doe this year was my first killed with a stone point.  I shoot about 50# and the point broke a rib going in and hit a rib hard on the opposite side!

If I had hit just one rib I think it may have been a pass through!!

Ribs are the best place to hit a deer!! 8)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Dazv

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 12:51:34 pm »
jeez you go through them i have butchered a few deer and i always thought the the point would just slide off the ribs. But thinking about it breaking a rib could be better because i guess it would take bone splinters in and cause more damage. What do you think?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 01:22:30 pm »
Even on bone, broadheads cut more than break.  A rifle bullet creates shrapnel that causes much more damage, but not an arrow. If the broadhead's point doesn't strike the rib my belief is that it normally rides along the edge instead of cutting deeply into it.   If it centers the rib it's likely to cut a slit large enough for the arrow to slide through.  Either way, no shrapnel effect.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Dazv

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 04:37:37 pm »
wow cut bone!!!! What kind of thing normally happens with a stone point??? thanks

Offline lowell

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 07:18:04 pm »
wow cut bone!!!! What kind of thing normally happens with a stone point??? thanks
[/quote

This is the result of my solid rib hit....

My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 12:43:29 am »
Ill take that rib shot any day ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 07:39:24 am »
  I make and temper my own trade points with 3 to 1 ratio.And have hit ribs straight on with any where form a 49 to 67 pound self bows I've cut through ribs everytime. I've never hit a rib solid with a knaped head. And have only shot 4 bucks with knaped points they sliced right through the sides of ribs do problem. I don't even think twice about ribs.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Dazv

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 09:34:42 am »
wow thanks for that

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 03:36:02 pm »
I have a nice big muley mounted on the wall, people always ask where I shot him.  Then I get this angelic look on my face and say:  " right in the ribs! "

>:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.