Author Topic: how to attach antler nocks?  (Read 11124 times)

Offline blades7558

how to attach antler nocks?
« on: November 22, 2011, 01:53:13 pm »
i would like to attach deer antler nocks to the tips of my new long bow, its eastern red cedar. my idea was to shave the back  of the bow where the tips would be and have about a 1" square area to glue to, i would also shave the corresponding side of the antler. i have plenty of space between the part where i would reduce the wood and where it starts bending some 3". my main concern is since i will be reducing the thickness of the tip in a diagonal direction thus cutting through the rings, will the force of pulling the bow (65 lbs) be enough  to strain the grain to the point of cracking/ spliting.

also i plan on leaving about 3" of antler hanging off the tips for aesthetic reasons do you see any functionality problems with this besides adding weight to the limb tips?
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

mikekeswick

Re: how to attach antler nocks?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 03:15:13 pm »
I would use a 1 1/2 inch glueing surface and make sure the surfaces mate PERFECTLY...with a good glueline there is nothing to worry about. I guess the only problem with 'extra' length past the wood  would be extra stress on the glueline every time it touches the ground or gets knocked.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 04:12:46 pm »
Extra length equals extra weight on the tip of your bow. Everything out beyond the string groove is excess baggage anyway why add more if not needed. Also there is a better chance of it getting bumped off.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline blades7558

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 04:19:46 pm »
thanks mike and pat, the tips are pretty wide on the bow, so i would have to use a thicker part of the antler to cover the whole tip thus having hang over. i might reduce the width of the tips but it might also make the overall look weird.. maybe i can come to a middle ground and reduce the tips/ have a little hang over, i do quite like the idea of having little horns on the end of the bow :) ( i also backed it with deer hide fur on)

i have small carving tools, i read in TBB that sinew users cut grooves into the base wood for a better bond, would this help me ? i can set it so the grooves match up perfectly.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 04:34:33 pm »
You backed your bow with hair on hide?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 05:04:43 pm »
Blades, It depends on the glue you use as to whether you score the wood and horn(antler). I just added some Am. Bison horn tips on a bow a few nights ago with TBIII. I made both the tip and horn flat, smooth and well mated glue surfaces. I wrapped with rubber bacd as a clamp. Works great.    If you are using hide glue, epoxy or Urac that have gap filling properties you would want to score both surfaces.
  My thoughts too, Pearlie!  ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline blades7558

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 05:48:07 pm »
yes i did pearl :) i call it fuzzy bow.
 ok pat i have tb III ill use that

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 07:23:18 pm »
You will never notice the long antlers on the tips then. Go for it! TBIII will hold just about anything down.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 07:36:02 pm »
  You gotta post pics of the bow when you're done, sounds really interesting!

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 07:44:04 pm »
Yes I need to see this fuzzy monster creation too

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 08:01:38 pm »
  Like Pat and others said 3 inchs over the tip is just dead unneed weight (mass). But also there no glue know that will whole it on if pressures put on the tip when stringing. I have added a tine tip to the uper limb. But never the bottom. EXTURE PRESSURE WHEN STRINGING OR DROPED AND HIT WILL POP IT OFF.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline blades7558

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 08:49:37 pm »
lol i will post some pics of it as soon as i get it done, i had figured that someone would have thought of this before.

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 12:14:15 am »
Hair on backing was mentioned in one of the earliest issues of PA. Not the greatest idea since it adds weight and eliminates the ability to actually finish the bow against moisture.
 I guess you can brush it it though.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 05:55:41 am »
Can't wait, need pics.now :o >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 07:55:50 am »
 ??? ERC, 65 lbs.hair on hide/3 inch tips passed the end,good luck with all of that. :) Looking forward to seeing it. Pat and Crooketarrow a right on it not holding when stringing and hitting it and popping it off,I never go passed the wood with tips just for that reason,I guess if you are really careful and don't plan on using it much that might be cool to look at but I use mine a lot and am not really all that careful with them. :) :) Good luck and keep us posted. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good