Author Topic: osage  (Read 8794 times)

Offline chessieboy

osage
« on: July 21, 2007, 03:15:51 am »
I found my first Osage tree and had gotten permissino to cut it.  The only request was that I take a large branch and leave the tree to grow ;D.  I cut off a good section probably 6-8" around.  I got it home and split it the next day.  I found several things that worried me.  First it wasn't wide enough to quarter.  I split it in half and then tried to split one of the halves again but it tore out the side.  No problem.  2 staves are better than a kick in the shorts  ;)
The next thing I noted was that there was a blace line right down the heart of the limb.  Its not thick but runs right the length of the limb. 
Next when I split the limb it was splintered prety bad along the cuts.  I used wedges and a sledge to split it.  The splinters are big and long.  I don't think it was affect the staves but the staves I've seen online aren't nearly that ugly. 
Lastly these staves are some of the snakeyest and twisted I've seen, they are twisted over 90 degrees.  The only good thing is I left them extra long over 80 inches as I new I would not get long enough staves if I cut them in half.  Hopefully when I get them the right length it will help with some of the twist.
Any ideas what would help with these problems or what the black lines may be?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: osage
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 10:45:59 am »
First question is how many bows have you built. If not many, I would suggest you put those staves up until you have a bit more experience. There is a lot to learn in such staves but not until you are ready for those lessons. With the length you have(80") if there isn't a piece in there, somewhere, as a solid stave, you could cut into 2, 40" pieces and figure out how to splice them so you get the best possible stave.
   Can you post pics of your staves so we can see the problems you are talking about?    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 11:33:26 am »
Gotta love Osage. It will test all your skills.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 03:20:01 am »
I had my son take pictures from cutting the log down to splitting and debarking.  I just have to get to work to down load the camera.  I am going to let them sit for a while.  I already have 2 hickory bows in progress.  1 I just got to brace height today ;D.  Still needs finished but I'll keep ya all posted.  Any ideas on the black section? Like I said it goes right down the center of the stave then entire length. I had thought a bore but its a dead straight line and down the very center of the heart wood. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 12:30:09 am »
It is probably a bit of rot in the center of the log. Could have been caused by wind  or a fungi that attacked the tree early on.   Just a guess! ;D   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Trapper

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 12:54:20 am »
The black line is what happens to a limb when it gets so big the spungy pith that was in the center of the limb, when it was smaller is what you are seeing, its natural for that pith to rot out after it reaches a certain age.       Trapper

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 09:06:37 am »
If the stave is thick enough the line will probable scrap out as you tiller the bow.You will want to hit the first growth ring you can get to save on the thickness of the wood as far as the twist you can heat and straighten Osage very easy by using a heat gun.As you said you need to let it set a while and season anyway.If you aren't going to debark and chase a ring and then seal it,it will need to set for about a year anyway.Be sure and seal the end .Pictures would help.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 07:54:13 am »
I got them stored in the loft today.  Figured I leave them up there for the summer to get a jump start on drying, although with as cool as is its been might not matter.  Talked with another guy yesterday who told me the state cut down a HUGE sage 2 years ago for a road project on his land. As is normal for state road depts go still hasn't been started. Anyway he said I was welcome to anything still there.  I looked at some of the pieces left and wasn't sure... til I cut into one and struck sage ;D ;D. The outside was grey/black but that first cut told me everything was honky dorey inside.  I loaded 3 sections in the truck and am going back to spilit the base section to make some splice sections with.  The other sections will still need dried due to ground moisture but the bark was a heck of a lot easier to get off than the fresh stuff.  Anyway I think I'm addicted to just trying to find more sage.  It's habbit forming ;D.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 03:25:46 pm »
If you haven't sealed the ends with polyurethane or something like it, Then that would be the most important thing to do until you decide how and when to tackle your stash of osage. Good luck!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 08:41:27 am »
some pics enjoy

[IMG]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z149/chessieboy/billspics018.jpg[/IMG

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 08:42:08 am »
again

[IMG]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z149/chessieboy/billspics018.jpg[/IMG

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 08:43:18 am »
lets try this one

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 08:45:14 am »
one more time
IMG]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z149/chessieboy/billspics018.jpg[/IMG]

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 08:48:26 am »
trying to resize this one

Offline episaacs

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 10:24:25 am »
Lots of prop twist in one end of that limb.  Pat's suggestion about cutting the best sections and splicing might be your only option with that much twist.