Author Topic: Snakey"Fade" Question  (Read 2808 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Snakey"Fade" Question
« on: December 02, 2011, 06:36:12 pm »
  I'm trying to research "Snakey Fades" I have an osage stave that is flat along the back but has snakey turns, one of which is immediately above where the 4" handle will be. The experience I have with fades were all on straight pieces of wood. Sorry I don't have picture technology, still primitive in that area for now. Does anyone have pics or video that I can see on "Snakey Fades" and how their shaped in? I've been looking here at pics on the forum but would like detail pics on belly, back and sides.
                                    Thanks, Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

mikekeswick

Re: Snakey"Fade" Question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 07:46:17 pm »
See where your string is going to lie in the handle area. If it's off to one side then leave yourself plenty of extra width so the handle can be shaped to the string. Also remember there is no need to shape the handle area until the bow is braced then you can really see. The general rule with fades is a nice gentle transition from wide to thin, thick to thin etc with no abrupt changes. Just draw some nice curves!

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 09:55:22 pm »
Not certain if these pics will give you any idea how to lay out your bow nevertheless, I chose a pyramid design on this stave.  In this case, I drew a longitudinal center line along the stave first.  Like Mike said, I then layed a string from tip to tip (of my long center line) then marked the handle dimensions in the center of the stave where the string lined up.  Since this bow had a non-working handle, I was able to cheat a bit to the left or right of my drawn longitudinal line, in order to place the handle in the center.   With the handle drawn on the stave, then I was able to incorporate the fades simply by measuring equal distances from the longitudinal center line to my desired fade width, following the natural snake of the stave. 

Kind of difficult to put into words, without showing you face to face.  Hopefully, the pics will help explain what I just tried to write.   ???  Reply again what you might be confused about and I'll try to elaborate better, or maybe someone else will chime in and help me explain....
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 11:58:15 pm »
Dang Matt....you playing with snakes again in your house and letting em crawl around on your floor :laugh:.....that's a slick stick brother ;)

I think mike n matt explained it pretty well cus its kinda hard to explain it without seeing your stave or being in person to actually show ya....pics aren't to hard to post once your shown/told how. I know id like to see it to better help ya out.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 10:05:49 am »
Nice, Mat. Don, get a nice thick pencil and mark  where you want the bending to start which for most is at the end of the fades and then work to get it bending there. Don't let a crook and a bend deceive you and they should do their share of the work. Get the end of the fades about 3/4 inch. After you get it floor tillered, mark a line across the belly,back  and sides  in 6 in. increments. Get  some outside calipers. Tighten them at the end of the fades. Give them a twist or 2 and remove wood at the next stop until they fit there. Continue. Leave the handle full width and the nocks 3/4 to an inch wide to track the string better. Both can be shaped and reduced  later after full draw. I can continue on string tracking if you or others are interested. Oh and it it is easier and safer to see if the wood is working if you are using a rope and pulley to tiller... at least for me.Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 10:20:28 am »
  Thanks everybody and Matt for the pics. The angle of the fade when viewing from the back or belly was in question and by Matt's pics the skins look like their at an angle perpendicular to the bend. Thats exactly what I was trying to find out is how the fade will end up " at the end of the taper" in the curve area. Pics are worth a 1000 words and these helped. Anymore would be appreciated, maybe both sides of the fade so I could see tapers. Hope to be able to post pics soon also.

Thanks Guys! Don           BEAUTIFUL BOW MATT!!!

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 10:35:00 am »
I am working on the nastiest, ugliest, skinniest, snakiest, undulating'ist hedge bow a guy can mess with, seriously. I would love to show you some pics of the nasty fade area I have cooking, but its going to be my first build along and I dont want to give away any clues. Give me one week or so and I will have pics here Don.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 10:49:40 am »
The fades may be the only part that survves Don! We shall see.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 10:51:35 am »
I am working on the nastiest, ugliest, skinniest, snakiest, undulating'ist hedge bow a guy can mess with, seriously. I would love to show you some pics of the nasty fade area I have cooking, but its going to be my first build along and I dont want to give away any clues. Give me one week or so and I will have pics here Don.

Hurry up with that buddy...I wanna be entertained :laugh:....and im impressed you doing a build along...kudos to you ;)....and...so that's your big secret 8)