Author Topic: Video added...Finished .... Hackadextorus... Flipping Question  (Read 6503 times)

Offline coaster500

Video added...Finished .... Hackadextorus... Flipping Question
« on: November 20, 2011, 01:04:29 am »
Questions, I am working on a Hackberry and it is starting to take a little set (story of my life) so I was thinking I might flip the tips a bit and try toasting it?

If you flip the tips on a bow do you tiller all the way to the tips? Do you finish the tiller to your weight before you flip them? I don't want to get crazy just a little bend on the ends.

This is my progress so far I'm 42@20 and I'm trying for 50 to 52@28

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 11:26:25 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline bubby

Re: Flipping Question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 03:30:39 am »
flip them now, let them sit a few days and don't remove anymore from the tip's or they will probablly just pull out, least ways that's what i'd do, how much set do you have, a little set just makes a nice shooter, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 03:39:59 am »
Bubby it looks like about an inch of set but it's a tad uneven top limb vs bottom.

When you flip tips do you use oil or anything or just dry heat?
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 03:42:42 am »
Coaster500 I agree with Bubby and would do it now but you may want to consider heating the intire limb because most will probally return. Especially since it sounds like your pretty darn close to your weight after you pull her 8 more inches. Do you have a form to heat it on?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 03:45:14 am »
Flipping the tips at this point will add additional strain on the limbs causing more set and resulting in no net benefit. Once a bow starts taking set, it's too late to add reflex.
Gordon

Offline coaster500

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 04:05:45 am »
One end has about a 1/2 inch and this end about an 1". Alot of it is very close to the tips?

This is the form I cut out this afternoon.... 

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 04:21:15 am »
that's not alot of set really
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 05:07:01 am »
Agreed with Gordon flipping the tips will increase strain. If one limb has taken more set than the other it is weaker than the other. You should use set as a tillering guideline. The best place to get set is in the outer limbs as it has the least effect on cast. I would get the inner limbs working a little more. Also you are going to be very close to your desired weight when you pull it to 50lbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 09:49:30 am »
Hackberry GENERALLY takes on more set than most, its very soft wood. It has to be bone dry and carefully tillered. The two hackberry bows I built were heat treated and that helped allot I think. One was a 61" working handle for me and the other was a 62" flat bow for my son. Both are still shooting and neither have a compression fracture one.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 11:24:37 am »
In my experience, flipping the tips as a solution to set doesn't solve anything.  It puts the limbs under more strain, so they take more set, which make the forward angle of the tips a wash in overall string follow and draw weight. 

If you "do" want to try it, though, use STEAM to flip the tips, NOT dry heat.  Dry heat is great for subtle corrections like adding even reflex or tweaking string alignment.  More serious adjustments like flipped or recurved tips almost demand steam.  I've done it with dry heat, but have broken far more than have been successful.  I won't even try it anymore with dry heat.  Too risky with all the hard work already invested.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 01:55:06 pm »
Ok, maybe we will just tiller this one and hope for a bow with out the flip. I'll try messin with the tips on the next one...

One more question? should I use the limb with the most set as the top or bottom limb? Right now the tips end up even when pulled...

Thanks again for all your help...

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 05:39:47 pm »
My old eyes may not be seeing this right ,and I am no expert but I see allot of stiffness in the handle area> I would take it out then put this bow on a full length form that has a progressive reflex ( not a re-curve like you show) and toast that belly good ! after that lets see what you have ,probably just a little touch up and go! How long is that stave ?
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline coaster500

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 07:24:38 pm »
It's 64"s long......The handle on this came in shorter than it looks. The back part is only 4's but I may still remove a bit more at the fades...  Thank you

Well this was the only chunk of lumber I could find for a form. I hope I didn't toast it to much? It wasn't long enough but it was the only "free" game in town. It's raining here so it should rehydrate quickly...

Offline k-hat

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 10:22:12 am »
Lookin good Coaster.  I've got some hackberry in the works as well and looking forward to finishing. :)

Heat treating the belly at this point will most likely pull back out.  I've read and it makes sense that some material should be removed from belly to get those compressed cells outta the way that are pulling it into deflex, then temper the belly well and get the core to at least 140F.  Yes, removing wood will weaken the bow, but tempering will at that poundage back in if done right.  All that said, you still may end up with set, though maybe a little less than you would have.  I'd let it rehydrate for about a week after tempering.

Just my two cents.  I hope she makes a great shooter for you either way :D

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 09:26:14 pm »
Did the belly change color I cant tell ?
If it did you are on your way !
how much the color changed will be somewhat of an indicator of how long it will take to rehydrate !
Try to leave it alone for a couple of days if its dark
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !