Author Topic: butchering  (Read 5146 times)

Offline butch

butchering
« on: November 18, 2011, 08:42:42 pm »
 :(   how many hours does it take for a 110 # field dressed deer t o get it from the meat pole to the freezer bag.  i seem to be avg. 6 hrs. not counting cleen up. maybe im slow but i want to know.  thanks. butch 

Offline cracker

Re: butchering
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 08:48:39 pm »
If you're slicing and trying to do professional work that could be about right. I usually just debone a smaller deer and cut off the unwanted bits and pieces and run it through the grinder then in the freezer bag it goes. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 08:53:03 pm »
Skinning, quartering, washing up the quarters, deboning, slicing steaks/roasts, chunking up stedw meat, trimming gristle and sinew from everything, grinding and packaging....yeah about 6 hours.  The second or third deer goes more quickly, by the time I am doing the 8th deer of the year I am down to about 4 hours including cleanup. 

I sometimes wish I hadn't told friends of mine I enjoy butchering deer.  My usual fee is one whole backstrap and two roasts, plus I get the backstrap sinews and leg sinews.   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 08:54:12 pm »
I will let you know tomorrow ;)

I'm cutting up a doe.  I process them on the living room table on a big piece of plexiglass so I can listen to the TV while I do it.  Just don't tell the wife :-X
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline butch

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 09:27:01 pm »
thanks folks.  now i doe feel so bad. >  :D . oh . jw i need your adress or do you pick up and deliver.  ill bid 4 roast and the front quarters. you are way to cheap for 6 hours labor,

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 09:36:46 pm »
Same as osage outlaw, I'm doing one tomorrow. Lucky for me my wife retired from Publix as a meat wrapper.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 09:59:51 pm »
thanks folks.  now i doe feel so bad. >  :D . oh . jw i need your adress or do you pick up and deliver.  ill bid 4 roast and the front quarters. you are way to cheap for 6 hours labor,

If you bring it over here to Rapid City, SD and help, I'll do it for one backstrap, and we'll put 4 roasts in the corning solution and I'll give you two already corned.  Deal?

Offline butch

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 10:22:39 pm »
is rapid city uphill or down from tulsa. i just finished # 3  and i gotta wait for #4 . from now on i only shoot up hill from the house so they roll home. draging dont make it if your on a senior lisence.        and wait and wait and wait.

Offline johnston

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 11:30:15 pm »
Butch this ain't the same thing but is related. I shared a lease with a real good friend for a couple
years (his name is Butch ) and late one Saturday I pulled up to the cleaning shed just as he came
out of his dad's house. Evidently the Gamecocks were not doing too good and he needed a half time
break. As I got out of the truck I checked the time, told him to hang on and stepped around back
for a minute. When I came back around he was closing the lid on my cooler. Time check, six minutes.

Guts in the drum, deer quartered and in the cooler. Cleanest meat I ever saw. He said his grand dad
hunted out of Florida in the 70's and 80's in a big club and hired Natives for the butchering. They had
taught him and he's probably cleaned 400-500.

Lane

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 10:08:50 am »
The equipment you have and use make a huge difference. Dad and I used to be set up to do hundreds a season as a small business. It took about 45-55 minutes from skinning to moving on to the next one. Now with less equipment it takes about hour and a half. Keep in mind dad has probably processed 1500-2000 deer in his day, he is quite handy with a boning knife.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 01:12:38 pm »
Butch, I honestly don't know.  I never do a deer in one sitting.  I put the quarters on ice in a cooler that fits in the old refrigerator I have in the shop.  After about 4 days I cut, wrap, and eat some of  the backstraps and tenderloins.  Then, over the next 3 days or so I cut, grind and wrap the rest of the deer.  So, I guess for me it takes 7 days.  I enjoy the butchering, so I don't rush it and we probably eat 2 or 3 meals off it in that interval.  I killed 3 deer in one weekend at the end of last season.  The fun went out of the butchering that time.  I had a couple friends come over and we did those 3 in a couple evenings.  Won't do that again unless I have to.

Practice makes perfect though.  I have friends that hog hunt a lot down here that can take a pig from whole and hanging to boned and in a cooler in way less than an hour.  Sadly, not me though...but that's OK.  Help if I shot more pigs. :-[

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 04:14:30 pm »
I always have a small shallow dish of soy sauce and another of worcestershire sauce on the counter when I am cutting up deer.  Venison tartare is exquisite!

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 07:09:21 am »
I always have a small shallow dish of soy sauce and another of worcestershire sauce on the counter when I am cutting up deer.  Venison tartare is exquisite!

What is the risk of disease when you do that?  I've always heard of guys eating the hearts from their kills but Ive never tried for fear of contracting somthing.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 08:25:47 am »
As long as the meat you're cutting is kept cool, and you were careful when field dressing, I don't think there's much danger with venison.  Wild pork, on the other hand, is a whole nuther deal on several levels.  I butcher it with rubber gloves on.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 06:00:40 pm »
Well it took me about two hours to cut and wrap all the meat myself. The wife was busy. I also corned two roasts. I already had the meat quartered a week ago and on ice.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?