Author Topic: hickory stave  (Read 3082 times)

Offline b-dog

hickory stave
« on: November 17, 2011, 08:34:38 pm »
i have a new to he hickory stave on the way. i made a couple of board bows and one from a hickory stave. the stave bow was about 63" tnt. i would like to build one a little longer. i draw about 29". what are some good designs for hickory bows. would like a long and narrrow but from what i read that i need something besides hickory. but for right now i will have the hickory to work with.

Offline johnston

Re: hickory stave
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 12:56:28 am »
Depends on the stave of course but hickory can do the long and narrow. In fact my humble opinion is that whatever
the builder can do it can be done with hickory. Of course, opinions vary.

Lane

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 01:13:44 am »
I've seen narrow/deep hickory longbows but they are rare. Hickory is strong in tension but weak in compression. For your 29" draw I'd suggest 68"(66" if you feel frisky  ;) ), at least 1 1/2" wide at the fades and out at least half of the working limb before tapering to 1/2" tips(for now)...and should have a flat belly.  A typical American Longbow would be a good design for your hickory stave.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 07:32:26 am »
I work with a lot of Hickory and agree with Pat on the design. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 07:38:13 am »
I'm with Pat and Pappy that's good solid advice.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline b-dog

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 10:10:07 am »
thanks

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 12:26:44 pm »
b-dog dont listen to those two old coots! I would bet they have built no less than 300-400 bows between them. I would build it 68" long and no less than 1 1/2" wide at the fades.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 12:32:05 pm »
Pearlie, you are starting to sound like one of those old coots with your bow building advise!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 12:41:59 pm »
Nah. Im like a little kid Pat. I just repeat what I hear!

b-dog, they are right on. The measurements they gave you will be perfect-o. I just finished a hickory American longbow for a 29" draw feller. It was 1 5/8" at the fades and 67" ttt, 58#.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline okie64

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 08:48:18 pm »
Hickory can make a long, narrow, deep bow but it takes some patience and very careful tillering or it can take a lot of set. I built bendy handle awhile back that was 68" long and 1" wide in the center and tapered to 3/8" tips. Heat-treated the belly and after a lot of shooting it still holds an inch of reflex when unstrung. I'll see if I can find a pic of it and post it on here later.