Author Topic: first prim.arrow  (Read 1747 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
first prim.arrow
« on: November 26, 2011, 07:03:08 am »
Yuck it up if u must at the appearance of the coolest arrow I have ever made!!!!
It is hickory I cut with sinew from a deer I killed and feathers from a turkey I kills all from the land I have the privilege of hunting and harvesting bow wood from.and it is a gift for the land owner whom has started collecting such items ...I could not be more proud ...that being said if there are suggestions for improveing please let me know as this is my first.thank you 

I forgot to mention I also knapped the point  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: first prim.arrow
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 09:52:39 am »
No "yucking" here. I say make 3-4 more and go do some late season snow hunting out there in Minnasoda! If it flies true the deer will never know what hit them! In my mind primitive archery is ALL about the right tools for job, looks are just something for us to gah-gah over on the internet.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 10:13:19 am »
The more arrows you make and shoot the better you will get at making them.  Good first effort.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 11:49:09 am »
Looks good soy!!  As I was once told on here, you may haft the point end a little further, like maybe an inch+ of hafting on the point end for strength.  The nock end doesn't need to be any more than what you have, but maybe a little closer to the nock slot.  Other than that, it looks great I think.  Keep it up Soy!!! dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 12:31:09 pm »
P D ...I wish I could mn.only allows metallic points :(
BOWTARIST...thanks for the pointers
Thanks all for the kind words  ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 12:38:19 pm »
As long as it flies well it doesn't matter what it looks like. I'd say yours looks pretty good.  I usually don't wrap the fletching on my arrows just the fore and aft ends but that is my choice. I do agree with Botarist though that the wrap behind the point should come down the shaft more to support the shaft behind the point.   The recipient should enjoy it in his collection just as it is.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 03:22:16 pm »
I've seen a lot of originals that looked like they were made by a monkey with no thumbs, your's looks fully functional!  Functional is way cooler than slick!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 06:32:08 pm »
Thanks :) I was going to do the front and back only, but he has some of those and I haven't tryd a wrapped one thought id give if a whirl ...need some practice haven't used sinew before eather,man that is some neat stuff