Author Topic: Dogwood warbow 140# 31" (experimental bow)  (Read 17680 times)

Offline druid

Dogwood warbow 140# 31" (experimental bow)
« on: November 17, 2011, 09:55:45 am »
Long time ago we talked about dogwood abilities. I had some average sapling and decided to try all its abilities. Off course, it had to be warbow. Sapling was a little snaky, twisted, with few bumps and few transverzal knots across the belly. Had almost 1" of reflex with two strange deflexed places in the middle of the limbs. This is in what it transformed: Dogwood warbow, 140# 31", 72 ntn, 35 mm wide and 26 mm thick, with high crown, no string follow. It is visible that in the handle is all sapling width used, cambio is on the sides. A lot of early draw weight.. off course- pic in front of the wooden wall.Tiller could be better. Stained with walnut stain and everything as always. Overall impression: amazing wood, cornus sanguinea...
I consider this bow as experimental bow, it is not quality enough to be keeped. I will try all kind of experiments on him: overdrawing, cold full draw and etc to see where are the borders of this wood, but seems that it is close to it's limits.

Offline Scowler

Re: Dogwood warbow 140# 31" (experimental bow)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:10:30 am »
Experimental or not it is still a great looking bow.  :)

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 10:12:09 am »
I know im gonna get in trouble and edited by an admin for saying this,but sometimes in certain situations its appropriate to say....sooooo

Holy .... that is .......  bad ...

INCREDIBLE bow Druid. You better enter this for bom

Is that acceptable?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:30:52 am by blackhawk »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 10:23:48 am »
That is a great looking bow,don't look like you are straining to bad for 130 lbs.You must be a pretty stout young man. :) :) Dog wood does make a good bow,never tried one that heavy 50 is more my style but I know it is good for that. :)
 blackhawk  ;) :) :)   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Shaun

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 11:00:29 am »
Druid, not sure what you don't like about the full draw picture. Looks spot on to me. You look almost relaxed drawing 140#. Love the look of your sapling bows and the way they transform from what looks like a natural stick from the forest floor to a graceful arc.

Your European dogwood sounds very similar to the gray dogwood (cornus racemosa) which we have here. It makes a fine arrow shaft and now I will be trying some as bow wood. Thank you.

Offline dmc

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 11:24:53 am »
Nice bow Druid. You look like you hold that back with some ease. I'm 5'11", 200 pounds, and I went down from a 60 pound bow to a more comfortable 50 pound.
140 pounds........I'd be going to the doctor after pulling that back a few times.
Love seeing your bows.......... great work.
dmc
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 12:02:15 pm »
I will never understand what it takes to draw that much. Im far from a small guy and I am built reasonably stout. I shoot every day all year with 50-60# bows. I pulled a 93# Dwyer longbow last winter and that was more than enough. I see you guys holding 100-130# bows for a pic, at 30" no less. What gives?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline druid

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 12:02:57 pm »
I am glad you like this bow.
My face maybe do not reflect but I am under great pressure to hold it for a second on full draw. I am 70" tall and 165 lb body weight but my arms are above average strong (beacuse off blacksmithing, trunk loading on my job and gymnastic in teenage years). In fact, I have problem with my trapesoid muscle about coming to full draw. But when I once achieve that I lock my shoulder there solid good. This bow is short for this draw and weight, my fingers are not very happy pinched. Better solution should be at least 75-76" long but this sapling was so short.....
Midlimbs should work little more but twist makes some problems, while canting.
I think I will not allow it to live long enough for BOM.  ;)
Drawing techinks by Jaroslav Petrina heleped me much in this situation. Without that I was helpless against this bow.

Offline druid

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 12:09:12 pm »
Pearl drums, I have no words to describe you my feeling while drawing so heavy bows, something amazing....so powerfull!!!  :)  :)  :) I am addicted to heavy weights.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 12:21:04 pm »
This is a very cool looking bow just like all your others Druid!  8) I'm not into heavy bows(I have built one 95#@30" yew warbow) but love looking at them and guy guys drawing them. Using a sapling for a 140# bow is quite impressive!!! ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 01:23:08 pm »
Another sweet bow Druid. Tiller is spot on as far as I can see(but I have TDS-tiller deficiancy syndrome). Just be careful with a 140# bow and testing the limits. Love seeing you work, makes me think of our ancestors.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 01:36:37 pm »
It looks like you just took the whole darn tree and added some nocks at the ends.  :) :)

I really like sapling bows and this is a beautiful example.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 01:42:45 pm »
Nice one Druid.
I'm getting worried about the 90# I'll be making next, dunno if I'll ever pull over 100# but I might have to try it if I manage the 90#
The dogwood we get round here is more of a small shrub with red shoots, does your dogwood go by any other name. or is it the same stuff?
Maybe you shoul take the shirt off for the next shot and attract some more ladies to the forum :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline druid

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 01:56:24 pm »
Yes Pat, this sapling is very strong.  ;)
Eric, I am glad te remind us to our ancestors.
Ross, you are almost right.  :)
Del, this is flowering dogwood as far as I know. (I am doing that with ladies on one other forum  >:D;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 02:00:38 pm »
Del, the dogwood you have with red stems is probably red osier dogwood. It makes good arrows and I guess if you find a shoot big enough and straight enough it would make a good bow. I don't know about 140# though.
  We have flowering dogwood, pagoda dogwood and kousa dogwood(Chinese import) here. All tree type dogwood. I've never tried any of these for bows but I know a few that have made good bows from flowering dogwood.  Red osier, silky, grey, rough leaf and other shrub types of dogwood all make good arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC