Author Topic: how much weight will it add?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
how much weight will it add?
« on: November 25, 2011, 02:39:12 pm »
i was working yesterday on a red maple warbow, it did surprisingly well, i had it about 130-150lbs, but i need to re do the knocks as they are splitting so i am going to cut it down about 4 -6 inches and was wondering how much weight it will add along with heat treating, as far as the knocks go, i am saveing the horn i have for me yewbow, so i cut side knocks in and wrapped the bottom of the with heavy thread, it worked well, except one of them wasn't set up right and it split down to the tread, only about 1/4 of an inch, but still to much, so that's why i have to redo them
so how much weight would cutting it down and eat treating add?
thanks
noel
( the reason i didn't ask this on the warbow thread was i figured more people would know about shortening bows here and i dont think the heavier weight should have much of an effect on this)
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: how much weight will it add?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 04:00:00 pm »
Way more than red maple can handle. I'm surprised you got 130#.
  Generally 3# to 5# per inch is what you get when piking a bow...but you also add to the amount of stress to the stave. Lots of give and take with wood bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 08:14:00 pm »
5% increase in weight for each 1% decrease in length. say it's 72 inch and it's shortened by 4 inch it will become 162.5lb...
 Cutting it down by 4 - 6 inch is not a good idea...it will amost certainly be too narrow and overstrained. Shorten it by the minimum amount to give fresh wood for the nocks. If you are stuck on self nocks make SURE they are accurately cut or just stick on an overlay to be safe.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 09:41:06 pm »
i ended up cutting it down from the knocks about 1 1/2 inch to make sure the wood was stable, but i am also doing some thinning and re-tillering to keep it at a weight the wood can handle, im glad i over built it before so i have room to adjust
thanks for the help, i also am surprised it survived that weight. although i could tell it was at its max
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what