Author Topic: Glass Points??  (Read 3000 times)

Offline nlester

Glass Points??
« on: November 15, 2011, 11:08:35 am »
Seems a lot of people that start to knap, start on glass.  Can you hunt with glass points?  I would think they'd be too brittle, but I don't know.  I'm sure someone out there knows the answer to this. 

Offline Wolf Watcher

Re: Glass Points??
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 11:27:42 am »
My Opinion:  Obsidian is nature's glass and has been used around the world for many thousands of years.  Glass like obsidian comes in many different knapping able forms.  I have found some of it in the Oregon Buttes that is very hard and some that is quite soft.  Looking at points made in Oregon and South America that remain in tact after many years on or in the ground you need not question their durability.  So I would say glass works just fine and believe it or not some very crude ones will get the job done.  I saw Hawk Huston kill a Big snake in Texas and a smaller snake there, and then a turkey in Wyoming with the same butt ugly point.  I used to have a source of slag glass from Michigan that I used for points for many years and that is a form of glass!  Killed a big ole cow elk out of Reedsport, Oregon with a slag glass point!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline nlester

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 11:52:38 am »
What about bottle glass?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 01:37:57 pm »
      This little buck was killed with a glass point from the bottom of a brown bottle.It lodged in the opposite side rib and didn't break.So the answer to your
question is yes you can hunt with glass. :)
   Pappy
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:57:34 pm by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline thomas h

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 01:44:43 pm »
question-- would it be about the same as obsidian? :-\

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 01:55:50 pm »
I would say about the same.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline nlester

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 02:36:49 pm »
I'd say that answers the question pretty plain.  ;)  Thanks Pappy.  I'm going to try my hand at knapping.  Hopefully I can make a point I'm able to hunt with. 

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 05:53:09 pm »
I love a picture w/ bloody hands Pappy.

nlester, FYI If you don't already know this, you can drop a decent sized nail down in a bottle and start shaking it up and down w/ your thumb over the opening and the bottom will fall right off.  Do it over the grass or something soft so it doesn't hit the floor and shatter.  Glass is great to start w/ cuz it's mostly free and easy to come by.  If you don't drink wine, take your nail to the recycling center and look in the glass section for thick flat bottoms.   >:D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 08:22:00 pm »
God dang Pappy  thats awesome!  Glass has been used successfully for a long time.  I myself have knapped many blades and points from slag and bottle glass.  I would agree that it is more brittle but once it strikes the target the damage has been done.  Glass can be found everywhere and in a survival situation it will do the trick..  Takes some pictures and show us your progress!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 10:56:08 pm »
Holy Smokes!  I have a source for Slag Glass!  The local university has a glass blowing studio!  they break and throw away tons of the stuff I think!

Hmmm... (rubbing knuckles) what was that professors phone number. . .? ?  (diggs through rolodex).

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 11:33:12 pm »
Looks like misses buttersworth point there!
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 01:27:44 am »

nlester, FYI If you don't already know this, you can drop a decent sized nail down in a bottle and start shaking it up and down w/ your thumb over the opening and the bottom will fall right off. 

I just can't seem to get the bottom of this plastic sprite bottle. You sure this works?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 02:30:34 am »
Along with bottle glass, stop by your local glass shop and ask for scraps of 3/8 inch plate glass scraps. 

Along with that is a wonderful material called john stone.  It also goes by the name "thunder chert".  The scientific name is Crapite.  I.e. toilet bowls and lids.  Good ol' porcelain. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 02:33:35 am »
Along with that is a wonderful material called john stone.  It also goes by the name "thunder chert".  The scientific name is Crapite.  I.e. toilet bowls and lids.  Good ol' porcelain.

HAHAHA, thats hilarious.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 02:53:27 am »
And that's why I love seeing new people in this Forum....I get to recycle old jokes!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.