Author Topic: cheap first arrowheads  (Read 6054 times)

Offline arthur_the_great

cheap first arrowheads
« on: January 23, 2012, 05:04:30 pm »
i seem to find any good cheap arrowheads that don't require knapping skill which currently have non of as well little or no knapping in my area  :(

so any ideas as to how to get some cheap arrowheads that don't require to much skill or now how?

thanks for any help :)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: cheap first arrowheads
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:14:09 pm »
What are you doing w/ them? i.e hunting, target, roving?  There are lots of options out there.  What kind of shafts are you using?  Answer these questions and that will help us help you.  ;)

To start w/, check out the "sticky" @ the top of this page. dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline arthur_the_great

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 06:00:43 pm »
my shafts are 5/16" dowels right now its just target practice but as soon as I'm confident enough i will start hunting small game(racoons' opossums and the occasional squirrel) as well as deer which in the most road kill i see in this area (literally there is like almost an equal amount of deer corpses on the side of the road as all small game in the area combined!) so target points and general purpose heads i'm guessing small to medium broadheads

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 06:02:51 pm »
Check your game laws. Some states require a minimum width in broadheads.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline arthur_the_great

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 06:20:09 pm »
here all animals defined as game animals except for squirrel legaly need a head that is 7/8"(dont ask me why squirrel is considered game)

anyone who wants to look into it look here http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/fish_hunt/

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 06:28:23 pm »
(don't ask me why squirrel is considered game)

Most of the squirrels I've been near were pretty gamey!! ;D
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 06:56:37 pm »
a-t-g, you can start out w/ M1 carbine or the equivilant casings, .30 cal I think,  just glued on the un tappered end of your dowel.  If you need more weight, add a little molten lead, let cool and glue on.  You can use the same casings and nock the primer out and find a nail that will fit in the hole and shorten and sharpen that for a more pointy tip.  Did you check out the small game sticky up @ the top of the page?  dpgratz 

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 09:40:34 pm »
Heres mine...

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30020.0.html

I used .410 and .40, and .38.. shells with hot glue, which is heavy so you can load it up to increase weight, shoved a ground off duplex in the primer holes...

The small game sticky has tons of awesome ideas from rocks to nuts...You can even make a ball out of duct tape and tape it on the end... use your imagination and have fun!!!

O and post pics of what you come up with!

ps...I just made a dozen bheads from skill saw blades, If you want I can cut out a few and send you some, they will be rough cut so you might want to touch them up with a file, and my torch is out of gas at the moment so they wont be tempered to hold a really sharp edge, but they will work for target or small game...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:44:36 pm by jermcramp1 »
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 10:41:11 pm »
Just got home from cub scouts, looked @ the post and thought of PatB.  A-t-g, taper them shafts in a pencile sharpener and screw a 5/16" nut on the end.  Deady to birds and even squirrles, who infact are game animals, try shooting one w. your bow sometime.  ;)  one of my favs.
That should get you started.  >:D dpg

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 11:34:19 pm »
Please do NOT hunt small game (or big game) with just field points.  That's just stupidly cruel.  Field points rarely ever do enough damage to be a quick and humane kill.  Check out the post in Around The Campfire that I posted about "Another Slob Gives Us A Black Eye."  There is a link to a housecat with a thru-and-thru arrow.  He was chased around the neighborhood for days before someone caught him and took him to the vet.  Field points will eventually kill the animal, but at what cost of suffering, how much lost game, how much damage to the conservation image of hunters?

There is a wonderful thread  in here that deals with small game heads, there are hundreds of designs that are much better and much more humane.  I personally love the .357/.38 brass with a slot sawn in the base with a bit of a sheet metal blade soldered to it.  Rabbits just can't slide off and get down the hole, the blunt often creates enough shock that the animal just doesn't have what it take to try running off. 

If you are going to kill an animal have the respect to provide the quickest and most humane death possible. 

Good hunting!
-John
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 09:07:51 am »
I agree with JW on that one.You can make them quick and easy by beating out a spoon,they are pretty cool,maybe a little light but easy and cheap if you can find some old spoons. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline arthur_the_great

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 10:32:37 pm »
thanks for the ideas  :) (for some i totaly missed that sticky on small game points ;D)

what about ones for target shooting?

i also agree with JW

Offline arthur_the_great

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 10:39:43 pm »
Where do you get the casings?

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 11:34:42 am »
Gun range around you?
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 02:08:31 pm »
How many do you need?  I got mine off the Trading Post page here on PA.com.  I've got a buddy who just got into shooting and has an M1, he's burning through them.  dpgratz